Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chocolate-Pecan Pie Granola

It's no secret that granola is one of our favorite breakfasts around here (see this & this), so when I came across a new granola recipe in the last Southern Living magazine, I just had to try it.  Surprisingly this does taste a little like pecan pie, as the recipe calls it, but not so much so that it's unfitting for breakfast.  This stuff is addictive, and I've already made two batches in less than one week!  I don't think I've ever repeated a recipe in that short of a time span, so you know this one is a winner:)




Chocolate-Pecan Pie Granola
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
3 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
4 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.  In a large bowl stir together the melted butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined.  Add oats, pecans, and wheat germ, stirring to ensure the mixture is coated.  Spread mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until toasted, stirring every 10 minutes.  Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).  Stir in chocolate.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days, or freeze up to 6 months.

source: recipe from Southern Living, November 2012

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm lacking in the domestic goddess department sometimes when I read your blog. I think I could handle making this! If only I had the jars to fill this up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good...and in that jar looks like a good gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo this looks yummy and a great party favor in the fall. I am pinning this one. Thanks Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you had me a pecan pie - can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate pecan pie is one of my top favorite desserts to make and i eat granola every morning so YEAH - i'll be making this. thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete