Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Time I Tried A Pinterest Diet

Y'all - I tried a diet I found on Pinterest.  Pinterest!  I'm embarrassed to even admit this, but this blog is not about sharing only my finer moments.  So this "military diet" that I found claims you can lose 10 pounds in three days by following a weird meal plan with no snacks in between.  Some of these meals even included ice cream and hot dogs (hello dream diet!).  I knew it sounded really whack but thought if it actually worked I could drop a few pounds and it would motivate me to eat healthier and drop a few more.  Here's how it went down:

Day 1 Breakfast: 1/2 a grapefruit, toast with 2 Tbsp of peanut butter, green tea
 

The green tea clearly did not live up to my routine morning cup of pumpkin spice coffee, heavy on the cream.  I started off my Monday grumpy and groggy - I knew it was going to be a long day!  I was hungry about 9:45 wishing I could have a morning snack.  Instead I drank another 16 ounces of water and went to the bathroom two more times.

Day 1 Lunch:  2 oz chicken, 1/4 cup yogurt with 1/2 tsp flax seed, green tea

I was so hungry by the time I ate lunch that I scarfed it down and forgot to take a picture.  But imagine like 9 teeny tiny pieces of grilled chicken and about three spoonfuls of yogurt.  I was still starving when my lunch was gone.  From about 1:30 on, every time I got up from my desk I was lightheaded.  I started developing a migraine that worsened as the day went on.  I was feeling so faint I could barely concentrate on work.  By the time I got home I was way past the point of hungry and just felt sick.

Day 1 Dinner:  3 oz chicken, 1 cup green beans, 1/2 banana, small apple, 1 cup vanilla ice cream

I was so impatient to hurry up and eat that I undercooked the green beans.  They tasted like they were straight up from the dirt (do green beans even grow in the dirt? whatever).  The chicken was good, but once I finished it I really wanted something more than just fruit.  This was the most food I had been allowed to eat all day but it just wasn't satisfying.  Caleb kept telling me to just can the diet and how it wasn't healthy and wasn't worth it for me to be miserable.  So, I quit!  My name is Sherri Lynn and I am a diet quitter.  The last diet I was going to try was a cleanse (yikes, that I also found on Pinterest!), and I chickened out the day before I started.  

I think the moral of this story is to stay away from diets that you find on Pinterest.  Also, just eat healthily and exercise.

P.S.  I did lose 2.7 pounds that day!  But duh, if you starve yourself of course you'll lose weight.  Totally not worth it.

15 comments:

  1. No snacks in between? I would fail at this! I'm glad you quit this diet because the portions look like they're meant for a 6 year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Sherri! That sounds like an awful day! I'm glad Caleb was on your side and you quit... that is not nearly enough food for an adult! AND I think you're beautiful without losing 10 pounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was hilariously written! I agree - diets found on Pinterest are bogus. Also I have learned that the healthiest way to eat is to have your biggest meal for breakfast, and work your way down through the day. If you are starving by 9:45 you didn't eat nearly enough! Kudos to you for quitting the diet and making the resolution to just eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was hilarious. diets are a joke--it's all about a lifestyle! and snacks are a must--gotta keep the metabolism up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I found the same diet and did the first whole two days, by the 3rd I was so sick I had to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you decided to try it, but also proud of you for realizing the needs of your body! I'll add this to the "do not attempt" list! :) Happy Wednesday! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading about this made me hungry! I'm glad you're a diet quitter....you're beautiful just the way you are! You don't need to diet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder you were starving! Here's to eating some food :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!!! I saw that pin on Pinterest too! I wanted it to work for you and then I would try it too lol Bummer I guess you're right that Pinterest probably doesn't offer the best diet advice :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow as much as you lost 2.7 lbs it isn't worth it if you are starving all day and you can't concentrate on your work

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Instead I drank another 16 ounces of water and went to the bathroom two more times." oh my god i died laughing over that!!! sherri lynn this was amazing - i feel like you should try tons of whack diets for a die and document how they go. you are so much better than me - i would have lasted a day! here's to baked goods and sandwiches and pumpkin coffee cream - now that's living!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha! No, green beans don't grow in dirt :) sorry it didn't work out for you as you'd hoped! here's to a healthy lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh....I wouldn't be able to stand the no snacking! Good to know. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This diet seems like a lose lose situation.

    One thing you could do - add tons of greens to the chicken bites, make a huge salad out of it. Eat lots of cucumbers with a little bit of dressing. Basically fill up on greens and protien

    Or, try no carbs after 6pm. Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning/lunchtime, then opt for protein and veggies in the evening.

    Fast fixes always put the weight back on unfortunately. Also incorporate excersise, walks etc! You will be able to lose in a month or so.

    If you want to spend money, do weight watchers online.

    ReplyDelete