Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread


What comes out of my kitchen is usually a pretty good indicator of what season we're in.  Pumpkin and apple baked goods clearly mean fall, so I went a little astray this past weekend with this lemon-poppy seed bread.  I saw this recipe in one of my magazines weeks ago and thought it sounded too good to put off until next spring or summer.  I'm so glad I made it; it has just enough of a lemon taste and the zucchini really keeps the bread moist.

Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 tsp poppy seeds

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric stand mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda.  Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.  stir in zucchini and next two ingredients. Spoon batter into three greased and floured 5x3" loaf pans.

Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).

source: recipe from Southern Living, August 20212

10 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like the perfect recipe to transition from summer to fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! this looks amazing! I love bread with zucchini in it - it really does make it so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon-poppy seed muffins, so I think I would definitely enjoy this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks soooo yummy!
    I have to give it try and I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks awesome - there is a ton of zucchini at me farmer's market so i could get on this. (also, the donut shop i went to a couple of weeks ago had a lemon poppyseed donut and i am totally getting it next time i'm there.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so awesome - I should never do my blog reading at night b/c it makes me so hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete