Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Panera Mac & Cheese



It is no secret that I am kind of obsessed with making different varieties of mac and cheese.  The latest recipe I tried was a copycat recipe for Panera's mac & cheese.  I have had some serious cravings for their mac & cheese in the past, so I'm pretty pumped I can make this at home whenever I feel like it.

Panera Mac & Cheese
1 lb pasta shapes, such as shells
4 Tbsp unsalted butter 
1/3 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 - 2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp hot sauce
4 oz white American cheese, finely chopped
8 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.  Drain well.  Return to the stockpot off the heat.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Stir in the flour and cook until light golden brown, whisking constantly, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.  Slowly whisk in the milk until no lumps remain.  Stir in the salt, mustard, and hot sauce.  Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook the sauce, stirring frequently, until it bubbles and thickens, about 6-8 minutes.

Remove the sauce from the heat.  Stir in the cheese a handful at a time, mixing until fully melted before adding more. Once all the cheese has been added and the sauce is smooth, pour the sauce over the pasta in the stockpot.  Mix well until the pasta is fully coated in the sauce.  Serve immediately.

source: recipe from annie's eats

6 comments:

  1. Mac & cheese is the bomb! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had Panera's mac and cheese; I don't think I've even seen it on their menu, so I'll have to look closer next time. But I do have to say that mac and cheese looks heavenly and oh so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum such a comfort food treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the bigger shells. i'm not a huge mac and cheese fan, but i always enjoyed the bigger shells as opposed to the little macaroni when i was little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look exactly like Panera's! So creamy and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my kids LOVE Panera - in fact it is referred to as "mac & cheese place" :) I def need to try this at home!

    ReplyDelete