Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Black Beans & Rice with Chicken & Apple Salsa


Since starting my new job I don't have the luxury anymore to spend hours preparing new recipes every night for dinner.  Instead I've devoted Monday nights to trying new recipes - when I'm fresh off the weekend and a little more energetic.  I tried this one the other week and LOVED it.  I got the rotisserie chicken on Sunday and shredded all of the meat, so after work I just put together the beans and the apple salsa, and dinner was ready!  

Black Beans & Rice with Chicken & Apple Salsa
1 cup chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
1 tsp (or more) fresh lime juice
1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
3 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups cooked brown or white rice
1 2-3 lb rotisserie chicken, skin discarded and meat shredded
4-6 lime wedges

Combine apple, 1/4 cup cilantro, 2 Tbsp onion, and 1 tsp lime juice in a small bowl; toss to coat.  Set apple salsa aside.

Combine remaining onion, bell pepper, and oil in a large skillet.  Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until completely softened, 6-7 minutes.  Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin; stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Stir in broth and beans; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; simmer briskly, mashing some of the beans with the back of a spoon and stirring often, until sauce is thickened, 8-10 minutes.  Season with salt, pepper, and more lime juice, if desired.

Divide rice and beans among plates.  Top with some chicken and apple salsa.  Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and lime wedges.

source:  recipe from Bon Appétit, January 2012

11 comments:

  1. Great idea to do it on Monday evenings! I love that you bought a rotisserie chicken...I'm all for the simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri this looks delicious, super fresh and light for the summer. I'm definitely pinning this :-) Thanks for sharing this recipe girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making me so hungry! All I've had today is a nutrigrain bar and cheeze its. Way to be unhealthy Amanda... Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hubby made some rice and beans last night...I have to suggest this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this looks so good AND healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delish, light and oh so healthy too! Perfect for spring and summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good and healthy! Is the cilantro pretty strong?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple salsa sounds amazing! I love how you made the beans too - I bet it had great flavor. One thing I totally stink at cooking is rice - my brown rice always turns out soggy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. this looks amazing. I'm coming over to your place on Monday nights! (if only I could!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does look awesome! It is perfect for the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been needing some good new spring/summer salad recipes...I'll have to add this to the list :)

    ReplyDelete