Monday, January 9, 2012

January: Boost Energy

via

One of my goals for the year is to read through The Happiness Project and work on the 12 areas specified in the book. I won't always make the same goals that are in each chapter; rather, I'm going to use the principles and research from the chapter to help me make goals for myself.

January is about boosting energy, both physically and mentally.  I thought about the times during the day I feel the least energetic and the things that seem to suck the energy out of me.  Then I turned those around and made a list to prevent my most common energy-drainers.

1. Decrease caffeine.  I've eliminated my morning cup of coffee.  This may seem counter-intuitive, but I'm willing to feel a little draggy for a the first few days so that in the long run I'm not so dependent on caffeine for my energy.

2. Eat breakfast.  I usually skip breakfast because I'm either drinking coffee or nothing sounds good to me, but then by late morning I'm so hungry I can barely think straight.  Just a little breakfast each day will hopefully give me enough energy to work efficiently until lunchtime.

3. Start strength training.  Not only is it good for me, but hopefully starting my mornings with some weights will give me a little boost.

4. Take more walks.  Walking triggers the body's relaxation response and helps reduce stress, but a 10-minute walk also provides an energy boost.  I work from home so I can easily pop outside for a quick walk when I need to clear my head or get a little energy boost to help motivate me.

5. Make a list of nagging projects.  There are things that I've been needing to do for a while (renew my passport, organize our vacation photos, etc.) that I just keep putting off.  Every time I think of these projects that are either time-consuming or annoying, I just get overwhelmed and put them off some more.  I need to just write these things down and start tackling them one by one.

6. Organize the pantry.  When I'm making a grocery list or cooking dinner, I can't even see to the back of the pantry to know what food I have in there.  It drives me nuts every time because I have to pull out all my cans and jars to find what I'm looking for.  I need to come up with a better system.

7. Tidy up before bed.  Nothing drains me more than waking up in the morning and finding a cluttered living room or kitchen.  I need to take five minutes at night before bed to put things away.

8. If something takes 5 minutes or less, do it now.  All of these little things pile up and end up taking big chunks of my time.  If it's something simple like responding to a quick email or filing that important document, I can take the couple of minutes and do it right away to save me time later.

9. Get rid of unnecessary stuff.  I know we have things that we could stand to throw away (that perfume I never wear, the old can opener that doesn't work), so I need to take the time to go through drawers, cabinets, and closets and purge.  Planning to buy a house and move soon is also a big motivator!

What do you find boosts your energy?

16 comments:

  1. I really like #9. I've been chucking a bunch of stuff, now that I'm in smaller space. And you know what? I don't miss it. And my mind feels clearer, my mood uplifted.

    Now if I could just get my bf to throw out his junk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are so helpful! I really need to get to work on #9

    ReplyDelete
  3. This list is inspiring! No coffee in the AM? You are blowing my mind! lol I need to hang around you so that hopefully all your good new years goals will rub off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much need to follow your list....great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big on the walks these days...especially when the dog and baby are driving me crazy. Walks always calm us all down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started The Happiness Project last week! I'm LOVING IT so far. It's really hard to try to take the concepts and apply them in real life, and it's amazing how upset I can get for no apparent reason. So I'm actively focusing on what makes me happy and stopping the things that don't! Love that we're doing this at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely eat breakfast for sure! gotta your metabolism even if you don't feel like it. it is important. good luck on the no coffee, i wouldn't last :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right there with you on this! I just started The Happiness Project this weekend and I love all the tips. I love that it starts in January! Perfect book for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list! Very inspiring, I want to try them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! I take a walk or stretch. If I'm stressed or overwhelmed I make a list or visualize what I need to get done and it helps! Good luck with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree! #9 totally can make you feel refreshed. Doesn't all that unwanted and unused stuff just weigh you down?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tidying up before bed is a huge thing for me. I hate waking up to see clutter in the family room/kitchen. I love waking up to everything put away for a new day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i need to do #8 for sure. whenever i come home and feel tired and i don't want to run/go to the gym, i remember i always feel better and more energetic afterwards, even if i'm tired before. so i force myself to go and it always works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are good ideas! i like the strength training one. and i love the picture you chose for this post! so refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're good influence, I stood up, connected my laptop with the printer and printed out this document I've been meaning to print out since November!

    I now can cross that off my list ... no wait, I don't have a list ;-)

    ReplyDelete