Monday, January 16, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup


In continuing my goal of making more ingredients from scratch, I knew I should probably make some chocolate syrup. Between my frequent cravings for chocolate milk and the iced mochas I make in the summer, I go through a good amount of Hershey's chocolate syrup.  This took only 10 minutes to make, it's more chocolatey than the bottled stuff, and there's no preservatives or corn syrup!  

Homemade Chocolate Syrup
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cocoa powder and whisk briefly to break up any lumps.  Stir in the water and salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.  Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  Stir in the vanilla.  Store in the refrigerator.

source:  recipe from annie's eats, originally from 52 kitchen adventures

15 comments:

  1. ooooo nothing starts the day more delicious than chocolate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Sherri Lynn! My kids love chocolate milk so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks unbelievably easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo that looks so easy and so much healthier! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! That looks delish. Now I'm craving some chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a HUGE chocolate fan but for some odd reason in the summer I always crave chocolate milk after a good run. I'll definitely have to remember this since it is healthier than the bottled kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I just opted to buy Nesquick syrup at the store the other day, instead of Hershey's, because it didn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. Now, I can just make it instead! I'll feel much better about myself when I give the girls chocolate milk! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're really sticking to your resolution with this whole use/make things from scratch! I'm super impressed. I have no need for chocolate syrup, but if I did, I know where I'd come to get a recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I am in the mood for chocolate milk now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been craving chocolate like crazy lately...and chocolate milk sounds perfect right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I want a glass of chocolate milk lol! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. you never cease to amaze me. you should open up a general store with all this stuff! people still use general stores, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I drink chocolate milk almost daily. I'm ashamed to say I've never read the ingredient list. Guess I'll be making this sometime in the next few weeks. More chocolatey taste sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete