Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies




If you haven't already decorated sugar cookies this Christmas season with your spouse/significant other/kids, bust out the sprinkles and icing and do it!  Last week Caleb and I decorated sugar cookies together and it was so much fun!  I didn't have to roll the dough out and use cookie cutters because 1) my mother-in-law gave me this pan that bakes the cookies into shapes for you and 2) you can just roll the dough into balls and flatten them into circles to bake them!  So easy!  Also this recipe is for those delicious grocery store soft sugar cookies that are always frosted according to the holiday.  Like most things, these are SO much better homemade!

Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
5 tsp vanilla extract

for the frosting:
5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
7-8 Tbsp milk (plus more, as needed)
food coloring (optional)

To make the cookies, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until soft and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.  Blend in the vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, add in the dry ingredients mixing just until incorporated and evenly mixed. Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.

When you are ready to bake the cookies, scoop a scant quarter cup of dough and roll into a ball.  Flatten the ball slightly and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Repeat with the remaning dough, spacing the cookies at least 2-3 inches apart.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until set.  (Do not overbake!  The edges should be no more than very lightly browned if at all.)  Let cool on the baking sheet for several minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To frost the cookies, place the confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl.  Add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk to the bowl and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in additional milk as necessary, 1 tsp at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.  Tint with food coloring if desired.  Use an offset spatula or spoon to frost the cooled cookies.  If the frosting begins to thicken as you decorate, just continue to whisk in small amounts of milk to keep it workable.  Store cookies in airtight container.

source: recipes from annie's eats, originally from hostess with the mostess

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh yum! Did mine last week, but yours are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than a sugar cookie and these look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft sugar cookies with frosting are the best! I can't stand the hard ones. Now you make me wish I would have baked these this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't made sugar cookies yet this year but would still love to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute!! looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, all the cookies and treats are making me giddy. I hope you are having a great Holiday week - it looks like you are into the swing of things, so far.

    Also,

    I wanted to thank you for your kinds words of sympathy. I was overwhelmed by the out pouring of love and prayers from my blogging buddies. It touched me that you care. Thank you so very much.

    Hug,
    e

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy and I can smell the sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have such fond memories of having a Chanukah cookie decorating fest as a child! I think more icing made it into my mouth than onto the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh me oh my! I want to make some of these! They look fantastical! Please send some my way :) Just kidding, but eat like 10 for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! The Loft cookies a the grovey store are my favorite. These look kus like them. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh and that pan looks like it makes it super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love homemade sugar cookies. And these look so festive. To be quite honest, I even love the Pillsbury ones too! So good.

    ReplyDelete