Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes


Red velvet is one of my favorite flavors of dessert, and Christmas is the perfect excuse to whip out red velvet recipes. Last Christmas I made this red velvet cheesecake, so this past weekend I decided to make cupcakes - a much faster red velvet option. 

Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar 
1 Tbsp liquid red food color
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk

for the icing
2 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, food color, vinegar, vanilla, and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Reduce the mixer to low speed and alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.

Divide the batter between two 12-cup muffin pans lined with paper liners.  Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in the center of one comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, 3 minutes.  Spread the icing on the cooled cupcakes and store in an airtight container. Makes 24 cupcakes.

source:  recipe from woman's day

22 comments:

  1. Red Velvet is one of my favorites too! Have you ever made Red Velvet cake balls, dipped in white chocolate? Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh red velvet is one of my favorite! There is a wonderful cupcake place where I used to live in Indianapolis called the Flying Cupcake! They had hands down the best red velvet cupcake. The frosting was so thick! Whenever I find a new cupcake place in the city I always try the red velvet... thats how i judge if the cupcake place is any good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! I had red velvet as one of my wedding cake layers...so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh yes. i'm always on the hunt for a good red velvet recipe and i definitely trust one you'll use.

    also, this is a typo, but i hope you keep it because it's awesome. you say to put the batter in 12-cup muffin mans instead of 12-cup muffin pans. and it made me giggle. so please don't fix it. i like to think of making cupcakes with muffin mans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen - hahaha whoops! I had to fix it because of the perfectionist in me, but now whenever I use my muffin pans I will think of them as muffin mans :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sherri lynn - ahh yes i understand the perfectionist gene. but i'm glad you thought it was funny too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very pretty and festive Sherri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a red velvet lover too. Someone told me once that you can get this cocoa that is actually naturally red and that's true red velvet. No food dye. It's supposed to be an arm and a leg though.


    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! These cupcakes look delicious, red velvet is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love red velvet! Almost made some last weekend to go along with my peppermint cream cheese icing but the hubby talked me out of it. Not sure why I listened to him...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever had red velvet cake before! They look so good too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO goooooooddd!! I have a major weakness for cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my absolute fave. they are perfectly christmassy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are my top 2 favorites, Sherri! Carrot cake first then red velvet! Except I put SOOOO much frosting on ;) Hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my fave things ever to eat,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, one of my favorites! These look mouth-watering! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh I love red velvet anything! This could well be the next craving on my list!! Those look so delish...and so festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i love love red velvet! these look excellent sherri now i want cupcakes for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm perfect for Christmas! They are like edible poinsettas;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yesterday i ate a red velvet cupcake that looked so beautiful, but didn't taste as awesome as it looked :/

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the origami boxes!!!! So cute and I love folding origami.

    John loves red velvet. May have to surprise him with these.

    ReplyDelete