Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Meatball Ratatouille Soup



I admit I was a little nervous about this soup.  I don't like vegetables in soup that much (heck I don't even really like some vegetables out of soup), I don't usually like beef-broth based soups, and the night I had planned to make this I just wanted a big bowl of creamy mac & cheese.  But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really liked this!  It had so much more flavor than I anticipated, and the medley of vegetables turned out to be really good.  This is a perfect way to get your kids (ahem, or wife) to eat vegetables.  We grated parmesan cheese on the top and served with freshly baked bread.

Meatball Ratatouille Soup
1 lb of meatballs, cooked through
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
10 oz beef broth + 10 oz water
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 bay leaf (I didn't have one)
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese to garnish

Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a deep saucepan.  Add onion and green pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.  Add garlic and meatballs and saute another minute.  Add zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings.  Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.  Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

source:  salad in a jar

13 comments:

  1. wow! looks yummy and delish.... wanna try this recipe... your blog is so nice. very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vegetable soups and pretty much any kind of soup for that matter so this is something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I've never had ratatouille soup before, but it looks like I've been missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've totally been in a soup mood lately! excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh that soup looks delicious!! and healthy too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it weird that I like the word "ratatouille"? LOL....there is just something about that word. I tend to lean more towards creamy broth soups but this looks yummy and soul soothing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum this looks delicious! I love veggie soups, they are probably one of my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really dreary and rainy here today this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious!! I love the veggies mixed with the meatballs! I am pinning this! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know what ratatouille was until I saw the movie...looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! That looks my perfect combination of healthy (the veggies) and meat (the meatballs)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful n very tempting pics..I love this one..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you come cook for us?? Haha your food always looks amazing! Or maybe just come give me lessons :)

    ReplyDelete