Monday, December 12, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup


We have been eating so much soup lately!  I love turning on Christmas music and chopping up everything to have a big pot of simmering dinner on the stove.  The temperatures have really dropped here in the last couple of weeks, so a bowl of hot soup and some fresh bread has been the perfect dinner for us.  This soup is spicy!  Leave out the jalapenos if you can't handle the heat!

Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 cups chicken stock
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
16 oz pepper jack cheese, grated

Heat olive oil in large pot.  Add green pepper, onion, and garlic, and saute for several minutes.  Add jalapenos and saute 2 more minutes.  Add chicken, chicken stock, spices, and tomatoes.  Simmer about 30 minutes covered, until tomatoes have begun to break down.  Add black beans and corn and stir to incorporate.  Add the pepper jack cheese and stir to melt; cook 20 more minutes.  Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and cilantro, if desired.

source:  recipe adapted from Homemade by Holman

14 comments:

  1. Yummy! How much does this make? Might have to try this one when my parents come up for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It's been super cold here lately too, so this would be a perfect addition to my soup list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way, I feel like I have been eating soup now for weeks. But I am loving it! There are just so many flavor possibilities! I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I have already eaten and am full, otherwise reading this recipe would be torture :) Hope you had a great weekend, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can practically hear myself sipping that soup it looks that delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhamzing picture...and this looks like heaven! I have been craving soup like nobody's business :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you! We had chicken enchiladas Friday; now i'm thinking I need to try this version!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wholesome and warming soup. That looks wonderful. And I love your Christmas biscuits from your previous blog as well - how perfect are they!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks perfect for a cold winter's night! it's definitely become winter up here in nyc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of soup! Warm and perfect for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another yummy soup! This is perfect for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeeeeeah, chicken enchilada soup! One of my faves of all time. Love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this recipe looks and sounds yummy ... thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete