Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken & Tomato Pasta Bake


Since I can never seem to get a decent picture of pasta dishes, these pictures do not do this dish justice.  This is one of our newest favorite pasta dishes - especially because you don't even have to boil the pasta!  It is definitely a stir-all-the-ingredients-together-and-throw-it-in-the-oven kind of dinner.  Those are my specialty!


Chicken & Tomato Pasta Bake
8 ounces dried pasta, uncooked
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast meat
4 cloves garlic, roughly minced
28 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or a mix of mozzarella and provolone)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk

for the topping
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh herbs (I used 2 tsp dried basil and 2 tsp dried oregano instead)
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish (ideally one wth a tight-fitting lid, but you can also cover another dish with aluminum foil during baking).

In a large bowl, mix the dried pasta, chopped chicken, garlic, and tomatoes (with their juices).  Stir in the salt and pepper. Stir in the shredded cheese and Parmesan.  Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and pour the milk over top. Cover the dish tightly.  Bake for 50 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.  Remove the dish from the oven.

Meanwhile, prepare the topping.  In a small bowl (or food processor), stir together the breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs, salt, and pepper.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, stirring until the texture resembles wet sand.  Spread the topping over the bubbling casserole and return the dish uncovered to the oven.  Cook another 5 minutes or until the topping is toasted.  Allow casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving.

source: the kitchn

21 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I like that you don't have to boil the pasta. I am going to add this to my list of recipes to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! New recipe for the week. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a question: are the recipes pictures taken by you? they are such great shots!! if so, you have an amazing talent!!!

    you are bad at making pasta? i think that is the only thing i know how to cook hahaha gotta try this one out! i can already taste it in my mouth.. yumm.. it's almost 11am.. i think i'm hungry haha

    kisses,
    teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! A pasta dish that you don't have to bake. I try to make a pasta dish once a week so I'm going to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Teresa, yes all of the pictures of the recipes I make are taken by me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hungry, hear me roar! I should wait to read your blog until after I eat lunch, not while I'm waiting for lunch to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, that looks so amazing, and I think the photos look great! Yum, I could go for a hot dish like that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word I am now starving. This looks so good.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds super tasty!! i love a good pasta dish. how cool that you don't have to precook the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really? You don't think that's a good picture? I disagree...it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't beat pasta in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have the best recipes! :) YUM! I want to try this soon! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! I'm tempted to make this tonight. I don't think I have mozarella cheese though... soon...very soon! Thanks for sharing. And it DOES look yummy in the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds amazing! Can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahhhh this is amazing! and we know how i like pasta dishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always looking for new chicken dishes! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chicken and pasta is always whats left in my pantry so this is a perfect go to recipe for the end of a week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I can never get good pictures of pasta either...but your actually looks good. I feel like whenever I try to photograph it the coloring looks wayyy off..hmm! Anywhoo this looks great Sherri! Filling and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw this recently and wondered if it really was good when the pasta hadn't been cooked. Glad to know that it does turn out well! I'm going to have to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious! I'll have to make this and I bet the leftovers are even yummier as the seasonings mix in!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete