Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apple Pie Squares



When we lived in China, English reading material was a precious commodity.  I had read all of the books I owned about four times, and I was desperate for anything new.  So I started reading old issues of Good Housekeeping that were lying around the house.  (I was in 9th grade.)  In one of those issues, I found this recipe.  I made these for the first time in China, in our tiny oven that was no bigger than an Easy-Bake oven.  Since then I've tried to make them every fall.  I'm not a big fan of the traditional apple pie, but I do love these squares with the buttery shortbread crust and the streusel topping.  If you're overwhelmed with the variety of pies expected for Thanksgiving dinner, skip the apple pie and make these instead!

Apple Pie Squares
for the streusel
1 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together until mixture comes together.  Shape into a ball.  Cover and chill.

for the shortbread crust
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

Combine flour, sugar, and salt.  Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Press crumbs into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.

for the apple mixture
3 Tbsp butter
3 lbs apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

While the crust is in the oven, melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.  Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  In a small bowl mix cornstarch and lemon juice; stir into apples until thickened.  Remove from heat.  Spoon apples over warm crust.  Place pieces of chilled streusel topping over the apples. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until streusel is golden.

source:  recipe adapted from an old issue of Good Housekeeping

29 comments:

  1. hi sherry.. it really fascinates me that you had the opportunity to live in China! wow!!! i don't know if i'm being too inquisitive, but why did you lived there? how many years? did you liked it? they have such an interesting and different culture you can only really experience when you have the opportunity to live there..

    kisses
    teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound amazing! I haven't really tried many apple recipes, I am excited to have my hand at this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they look so good! I should make these soon, since I have apples that need to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the Pin It button on my work comp because I definitely want to pin these! I will be baking these very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri! I am going to make these tomorrow they look so delicious! Thank you! We're havng my nieces and nephews this weekend and this looks so good and "fallish ". xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Apple pie squares! What a wonderful concept! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, nom nom! These look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word this looks beyond amazing! I am definitely going to have to make this with the apples that are going bad in my frig! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are absolutely amazing! You are a master baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lived in China?! I would love love to hear more about this!! What an amazing experience that must have been! As usual you have me drooling with your yummy looking recipes..that I cant eat right now..BOO but I can dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm, these sound like a perfect substitute for apple pie! definitely a great addition to any thanksgiving spread :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! And I'm not a big fan of regular apple pie either, but I'd give these a shot! I like to make pumpkin cake for holidays instead of pumpkin pie! It's so yummy and it has that nice streusel topping too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo those sounds good, like a cross between a pie and a crisp! Yum-o!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa, China! That must have been an experience. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious! I love baking with apples...must try this recipe:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that topping looks so crumbly and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so neat that you lived in China! How fun that you made it out there for the first time. It looks amazing =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so GREAT!!! Lived in China ~ how crazy cool!!! My parents own a coffee shop in China ~ kinda random, but they live there for a few weeks every other month. Thanks so much for the recipe and for stopping by to check out my fireplace updating ~ I agree the white definitely brightens it up!!! I'll chat with you more soon!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like apple pie, but these look like they could top it any day! can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks yummy! I can kind of taste it in my mouth and its making me so hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow. this just got bookmarked. and i love thinking of little 9th-grade sherri making this in china (!) again, for the millionth time, can i live by you? i'm tired of being so far apart.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh yum. mouth watering right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok seriously I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting all these wonderful fall recipes before I drool all over my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. everytime i come here i just drool! every apple that i've eaten this year has been amazing. This looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made this tonight for our company and it was sooo good! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete