Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling


I think this pumpkin bread is magical.  When I was pouring the batter into the pans, I miscalculated (what else is new) and didn't have enough batter to cover the cream cheese filling in the middle.  Half-way through baking when I checked on the bread, the cream cheese had puffed way up over the edges of the pan, with like no pumpkin bread part in sight.  But when the bread was done, the cream cheese filling had somehow settled down more into the bread and it turned out just fine!  So moral of the story is, even if you aren't much of a baker, you can't screw this bread up! :)


Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling
for the cream cheese filling:
8 oz pkg of cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp flour

for the pumpkin bread:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

To make the filling, process the cream cheese in food processor just until smooth.  Add the sugar and process until smooth and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time, processing until just incorporated.  Do not over process.  Stir in the flour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and lightly flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  

In another large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten.  Add the sugar and melted butter and whisk until blended. Stir in the pumpkin, water, and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined.  Do not overmix.

Divide the batter in half.  Take one half and divide it evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.  Divide the cream cheese filling in half and place each half of filling on top of the batter in the two pans, smoothing the tops.  Top with the remaining half of the batter, placing small dollops of batter over the cream cheese filling.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.  Place pans on wire racks and let cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pans.  Store bread in the refrigerator.

source:  recipe adapted from joy of baking

25 comments:

  1. Yum!!! My husband would be so excited if I made this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For reals?!! Ahh this sounds so good! I love a good cream cheese filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe! I will post the zucchini one tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was having a big slice of this for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm.
    I love fall,
    because I love pumpkin :)

    ugh. I wish I were more like you.
    teach me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I made two batches of pumpkin muffins this weekend and I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow--looks incredible--you are always baking up something fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cream cheese sounds like an awesome addition! yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow wow wow! This look amazing!! Definitely making soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM i need to make this. It looks amazing and perfect for the season :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made pumpkin cream cheese bread two weeks ago. We loved it so much that we ate it and I totally forgot to take pictures for a blog post. Isn't it great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i cant wait to make my first loaf of pumpkin bread as soon as it stops being 90 here in CA, ugh so not fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh...cream cheese is such a magical ingrediant! I can practically smell your pumpkin bread through these yummy pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks soo good...recently i had to put a store bought pie in the oven and it was terrible...i mean i suck at baking so i come here for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What?!! Get out!! This looks ridiculous! I am dying over here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. If you keep these delish recipes coming at this rate, I am going to gain 20 pounds before thanksgiving even arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmm YES!! Pumpkin and cream cheese is my favorite combination! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my heavens, this looks AMAZING! Probably my favorite recipe ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. girl, you always have the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You KNOW that pumpkin and cream cheese make me absolutely weak. I don't doubt it when you say it's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your hubby is a lucky guy - i bet he loves your cooking. I, for one, love the looks of this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. they were, you have to make them!!! I am not a fan of pumpkin but this looks good! So fun to find new things to cook and then post about them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cream cheese...pumpkin...you just can't go wrong with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG this looks devine!!
    Thanks for the freat recipe!!

    Happy Wednesday,
    Simplycamylla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete