Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chili & Cornbread


I have a confession.  I didn't make this chili entirely from scratch.  I've been making chili like this since I was in college, and it's still one of my favorites.  Back then I wasn't about to buy a dozen different spices to make chili, so I use this super easy recipe instead.  I still make it like this because it's delicious.  I'm not one of those people that makes something easy for dinner just because it's easy.  I make it because it's good, and if it's easy then it's a plus!  


Easy Chili
2 cans Chili Magic (found in the aisle with canned beans)
2 lbs ground beef
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I use the ones with zesty green chiles)
veggies of choice:  green pepper, red pepper, onion
salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef; drain.  Mix all ingredients into a large pot or a crockpot.  Cook on low for three hours up to all day, stirring occasionally.  Serve with cheese and sour cream.


Buttermilk Cornbread with Monterey Jack Cheese
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup (packed) coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
3 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Butter an 8x8" baking dish.  

Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl.  Stir in cheese.  In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and honey.  Add melted butter and whisk until blended well.  Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.  Stir just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake until tester inserted into center of bread comes out clean, about 15 minutes.  Cool completely in pan on rack.

source:  recipe from Bon Appétit: Fast, Easy, Fresh

27 comments:

  1. You always have the most fantastic recipes! I would like a bowl of this right now...even though it is only 9:00AM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks DELICIOUS sherri!! I'm deff trying it at home!! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's my favorite plate! and topped with cornbread, another favorite of mine. looks like a delicious, fall dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Even though it's only 9:30 in the am, I'd like a bowl please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to make chili for the last few weeks, but the weather where I'm at is still in the high 80's! hopefully things will cool down in the next week or two so I can try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think I am going to have to try this soon!! Thanks for posting this easy *YUMMY* chili recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made cornbread from scratch and have always wanted to, so thanks for an easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear heavens above — THAT LOOKS AMAZING! I'm trying this cornbread recipe ASAP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds like the best combo. i love fresh cornbread - so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes life is so much sweeter when it's not made from scratch. Not always, but definitely sometimes =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect dinner. So sounds filling and satisfying! Your pictures are getting soo good my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! This looks like the easiest chili ever! I can't wait for when it's going to be cool enough to actually crave and enjoy a recipe like this! Thanks for sharing Sher, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl...this sounds like something right up my alley! I love that plate btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delish!!! I have been thinking about making a crockpot chili soon when it gets a little cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now you've really made me realize I skipped lunch today! These look so good and great for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so hungry now!! This looks delicious and I love that cornbread recipe--will have to try it. Your pictures are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks so yummy! glad it's time for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. don't worry we won't tell it isn't entirely from scratch. that corn bread looks so good will have to try that recipe i love cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chili and cornbread?? I'm listening!!! These are two of my favorite things.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those corn muffins look sooo good :-) Your food posts always make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cornbread is one of my favorites! Frank makes deer meat chili and its absolutely amazing. Hes a wonderful cook!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm mmm. Chili and cornbread. Reminds me of home. Which is weird because my mom never made it for me, haha. I guess it's just the warmth and comfort I get from eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. picked up the ingredients today to make this tomorrow. high of 64...oh yes, GOOD chili weather!! :-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks great - and i love your plates! maybe i will make chilli for lunch this week

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made this tonight and added corn to mine.. it was great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete