Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Easy Summer Dinner: Chicken Salad

I don't know about you, but I'm still trying to avoid making dinners that require turning on the oven! We have been doing a lot of grilling and other simple dinners this summer.  One of our favorites has been chicken salad.  It's a cinch to throw together and then we can have the leftovers in the fridge to pull out for for lunches.  


Chicken Salad
for the dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp poppy seeds
salt & pepper to taste

4 cups cooked & cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2.25 oz pkg chopped pecans
1 heaping cup halved red grapes
3 celery stalks, diced

Whisk together dressing ingredients until well combined.  Cover and store in refrigerator.  In a large bowl, toss together the chicken pieces, pecans, grapes, and celery.  Pour desired amount of dressing (I only used about half) over salad ingredients and stir to coat.  Serve with croissants or on a bed of baby spinach or romaine leaves.

source:  recipe from simply scratch

20 comments:

  1. this is the perfect recipe. grapes, celery and peacans are always what i put in, too. love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K I would have never thought to put vinegar and poppyseed in chicken salad but I totally am going to try.
    I posted my favorite recipe today. You would be proud:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. for the first time you post a recipe that i've done before and is "dummies prove" like myself hahaha i'm hungry, stop posting food!!!

    kisses,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want this for lunch today!! Only problem...I am going to be a waterpark. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds so light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of chicken salad. Have you tried putting in cranberries? I like the kick of sweetness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. That's what I'm talking about. We have chicken salad wraps this week for lunch. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes my heart ache! I love chicken salad, but can't eat it anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this looks amazing. Your husband must cherish you LOL

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh you just made me so hungry! It's so hard to find a good chicken salad so I will be trying this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so with you about not turning the oven hot...too dang hot! My husband is a huge chicken salad fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. seriously everything you post looks and sounds amazing!

    xo Jackie
    http://livingaftermidnite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The oven. Seriously. Life is more pleasant when it's not on! And this is one of my fav summer dishes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love chicken salad and your recipe just looks amazing! Aren't meals that can double as dinner and lunch the next day the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! It sounds and looks amazing! I am all about my crock pot these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm totally bookmarking this! It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! This recipe is absolutely amazing. I am definitely having this for dinner tonight!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so yummy :) I love grapes in my chicken salad!

    ReplyDelete