Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake

A couple of weekends ago Caleb and I completed another thing off of our summer bucket list - we went berry picking!  We went to a berry farm where they have blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  We intended to pick all three, but because it was early in the raspberry season and some greedy woman had gotten there before us and picked the raspberry bushes clean (seriously, I saw her lugging her huge hoard of raspberries around), we came home with just blackberries and blueberries. I let the blueberries sit at room temperature for 24 hours to finish ripening (as instructed by the berry farm people), but after that I couldn't wait to bake with them!

{fresh blueberry almond coffee cake}

Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups plus 3 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups blueberries
1/2 large egg white*
1 cup sliced almonds

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.  Combine butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in whole eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, and mixing until just incorporated.  Fold in blueberries.  Spoon batter into buttered 2-2 1/2 quart baking dish and spread evenly.

*To measure the half egg white, lightly beat an egg white with a fork in a measuring cup, then pour out half of it.

In a small bowl, combine egg white, remaining 3 Tbsp sugar, and almonds, stirring to coat almonds.  Spoon almond topping over batter.

Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.  Cool in pan on a rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

source:  recipe from The Gourmet Cookbook

19 comments:

  1. oh my dad would love this - he's a coffee cake fiend. i laughed at the thought of some woman lugging around all those raspberries - how selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love berry picking! Maybe we'll do that this weekend. I had no idea you leave them out- good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really love coffee cake. I really need to try this recipe! I've never been berry picking either. Sounds like I'm pretty sheltered doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, I made your mac and cheese recipe last night and it was delish! My hubs and son loved it too:)
    This one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! I wanted to go strawberry picking with the kids this summer but when I mentioned it to someone they said the season was already over!! The coffee cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW this look scrumptious! lol If only I knew how to make half as good as you. I'm afraid to give it a try but it looks awesome.

    xoxo
    FAKE EMPIRE
    www.shopFAKE.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Berry picking is SO much fun!! ANddd girl this looks SOO yummy!! I want a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have NO idea how happy I get when I eat a nice slice of coffee cake. Sigh that one looks dreamy, I haven't had blueberries in years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like fresh berries and fruit for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love berry picking!! this cake sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun thing to do in the summer! This cake sounds yummyyyyyyy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not even kidding you, I am sitting here at work and was just scrolling down my google reader, and when this post popped up with the picture my stomach grumbled and my mouth started watering. If the picture is this good-- I imagine the taste is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. berry picking, that sounds so fun! I am putting that on my to do list ASAP! (along with making this coffee cake!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i wish i had more time to do all these recipes! this looks delicious!

    xx
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why do you always have the most amazing looking recipes?! They always make me so hungry! This looks amazing :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum yum yum! will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Micah and I were going to do that! Good to know it's worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete