Monday, July 18, 2011

Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cakes

Hands down best way to start a week?  A cup of a coffee and a muffin.  Or a donut. Or a scone.  You get the picture:  Monday morning comes around, go get yourself a baked treat and a cup of coffee.


Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest

Stir together flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl.  Blend in 1 1/2 sticks of butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-sized lumps of butter.  Transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to a medium bowl and blend in cinnamon, remaining 1/2 stick of butter, and remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar with pastry blender until crumbly.  Stir in pecans.  Refrigerate streusel topping for 15 minutes.

Whisk together sour cream, egg, yolk, vanilla, baking soda, and orange zest in a bowl.  Stir into remaining flour mixture until just combined (batter will be stiff).

Generously butter 18 muffin cups; butter tops of muffin pans as well.  Divide batter among muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full.  Sprinkle each with streusel topping and press it lightly into batter.  Bake at 350 degrees until cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.  Cool in pans on racks for 30 minutes.  Loosen cakes with a sharp small knife, then carefully remove from pan.  Makes 14-18 cakes.

source:  recipe from The Gourmet Cookbook

28 comments:

  1. Totally agree..I love those mornings with a cup of favourite coffee and a little homemade treat! This one looks delicious:) Have a great day
    Kisses

    P.S: Im hosting an awesome print GIVEAWAY later today! I bet you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a bakery treat sounds PERFECT right about now!!!

    xo Jackie
    http://livingaftermidnite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These seriously look delish. Would love one right about now.
    xo
    Alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, and haven't had mine yet.... these look so so yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love pastries, and they are best on monday mornings. these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These muffins sound delicious! And I love the mug, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh yes I am drinking a cup of coffee and this needs to be sitting next to me too! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right! The week can't get started without some delicious coffee and a sweet treat :-) These sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm! Nothing like a good cup o' joe! I haven't tried sour cream in sweet stuff. I've heard it really does wonders! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! I like to start my Monday mornings with a very large glass of iced tea (or hot tea in the winter) because I'm not a coffee drinker, but everyone loves a coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously you must know that I have an addiction for all things coffee. You've got to quit doing this to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm you're making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmm mmmm mmmm.
    I'm always looking for something to make for the mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm looks delish. thanks for the recipe.

    xoxo, chrissy
    The Perfect Palette

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a total sucker for coffee cake - adding a bit of orange zest sounds like the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my I could have a basket-full of these right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound so yummy and I could definitely go for a HUGE cup of coffee right now. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm, a cappuccino and baked treat is my favourite ritual. These look awesome! This also looks divine: http://www.howto-simplify.com/2011/06/apple-rings.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds delicious!! Love the blog, I am your newest follower!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, these look beyond delicious. Glad I stumbled on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. coffee and muffin ... L.O.V.E!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was just what I was craving this morning (had cold pizza instead). Now following you on Pinterest - you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i <3 pecans!! yummie :)

    love,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ummm, yes please! I think I would have enjoyed this a lot more than the my breakfast of Greek yogurt and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are speaking my language ... love a cup of coffee with baked goods in the morning. My fav is a cake doughnut with white icing but man, these muffins sound pretty delish too!

    ❤ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great! Just the thing to have with a cuppa.

    x
    Michelle
    www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete