Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Zucchini Nut Bread Cookie Sandwiches

These would make a great gift, but we've been selfish.

My mother-in-law sent us some cucumbers and zucchini from her garden, and I immediately was thinking of what I could bake with the zucchini.  Last time I made this banana zucchini bread, so I wanted to switch it up this time.  Then I remembered something I had put on a list (of course) of recipes I wanted to try. They are seriously the best thing I've eaten in a while.  The Coconut Seven Layer Bar ice cream at Ben & Jerry's over the weekend was a close second, but these cookie sandwiches are telling Little Debbie and her oatmeal creme pies to move on over. You can get the template for the labels (here).

I love the texture of the nuts, oats, and zucchini.

Zucchini Nut Bread Cookie Sandwiches
1 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.  Beat 1 stick of butter and the sugars until pale and fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Beat flour mixture into butter mixture.  Stir in zucchini, oats, and pecans.  Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, in balls of about 2 Tbsp and placing about 2 inches apart.  Bake at 350 degrees until edges are golden, about 17 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Beat together remaining 1/2 stick of butter, the cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar until smooth.  Once cookies are cool, spread filling onto the flat side of one cookie, and sandwich with another cookie.  Repeat with remaining filling and cookies.  To keep fresh, place in Ziploc bags or airtight container and store in fridge.  Makes 10-14 sandwiches.

source: recipe slightly altered from Martha Stewart Living, March 2011

I've linked up with sweet as sugar cookies!

35 comments:

  1. My favorite bread in the world! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a recipe for seven layer bars i should share - it's out of this world. my girlfriends from high school and i called them orgasm bars, if that gives you some perspective. your cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name, not so appetizing, but they look phenomenal and bet they taste great. My sister makes a sweet zucchini casserole thing (not so healthy), but tastes divine.

    Happy Hump Day, Sherri!

    P.S. Do you go by Sherri or Sherri Lynn? I've been curious about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh these look amazing! I think I need to hire you as my personal chef! YUM Yum YUm!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh zucchini anything makes my mouth water! these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this looks so amazing. Your husband must adore you! Haha

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, they look like little whoopie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherri, I just made zucchini bread, too... and a friend sent me this link for zucchini pasta to use up my extra grated zucchini. I thought it looked interesting but haven't had the chance to try it yet. :)

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spaghetti-with-zucchini-and-garlic-recipe/index.html

    Lots of Love, Erin
    whatmakeshome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that you could do that with zucchini! Looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious :)I want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!! They're like a healthy version of whoopie pies :-) My tummy is growling right now

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting combination of flavors! i like the sound of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so good. I wonder if I can trick my husband into trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah! Zucchini's in a biscuit! Whaaaaaaa? I have to try this out! Oh & I love the template, definitely going to put it to good use :) Oh, also - ASOS do free shipping, although i don't think you'd get it in time for the Wedding on the weekend :( Still...I'm sure you could put the Yellow Clutch to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cute! i love it :)

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Who thinks up this stuff? Zucchini nut bread cookie *sandwiches*?!?! I never could have come up with that! I'm totally going to make these, they look sooooo yummy!! :)


    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I LOVED those Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies! I'm printing this off right now...hope to make these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zucchini bread is one of my favorites ever! Adding some icing to it and another slice and smashing it down? Well that just makes it even more delectable!

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sooooooooo, if you could send me some of these ASAP, that would be fabulous. And I'd love you forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man those look good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, these look amazing! Such a great combo...love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Strange! I never would have put these ingredients together in a million years...they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look insanely good. Any bread in cookie form is okay by me! I need to try them! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh my gosh these look freaking awesome. i'm going to make these for SURE

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  26. the texture is amazing...the combination is superb. Loved your blog...you are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum!!! I was just thinking about making zucchini bread recently since there's so much of it at the farmer's markets. I like adding chocolate chips to mine. I bet that would be fab in these little cookies!

    xo,
    Stephanie (Big Mario Life)

    ReplyDelete
  28. this sounds amazing, I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look fantastic, but what temperature should the oven be?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for pointing out that oversight on my part! The oven should be at 350 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've made these. They are delicious and freeze well too (without the filling).

    ReplyDelete