Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Jam

When I was a little girl, I thought it would be so fun to grow up and spend all day in the kitchen, canning things and kneading bread and making pies from scratch.  I wanted to go down into my little cellar and see my all my shelves of canned things.  (Maybe I read too many Amish stories.)  Well here I am, grown up with my own kitchen and without a cellar.  I have never canned anything, I've only made bread twice, and I don't really like making pies.  I usually spend my time in the kitchen making dinner or baking something simple, but I still do like the idea of making something to line the shelves of my imaginary cellar.  So on Friday I decided to make jam!  I used this recipe, and it was so easy!  It really is delicious, and I might make another batch so that we have enough to give away and to last us a while.

jars on counter


washed strawberries


the finished product


enjoying the jam on a biscuit


don't forget to enter to win a walmart gift card!

16 comments:

  1. yummm, ive never tried this. it does look simple. thanks for sharing that recipe i might have to give it a try. even though as simple as it looks im scared bc i always mess anything i try to cook up haha

    xoxo
    FAKE EMPIRE

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were just talking about trying our hand at gardening last night! I told him I wasn't going to can! LOL! But, your jam does look delicious! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!your jam looks SOOOOO good! happy new week

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post : ) I love strawberry jam. It makes me think of my Grammy : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this just brings me back to childhood!! Like you, I have always wanted to can things, but here I am so many years later, and I have never tried it! I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job on making your own jam! did you have to buy the cute strawberry fabric and cut it for your lids? that's pretty arts and craftsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! I've always been afraid of the canning process, but would love to say that I made my own jam :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOO this looks so yummy. Strawberry jam is my all time favorite. I need to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Homemade strawberry jam sounds so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your jam looks so yummy and presented in such a pretty package! Can't wait to try some! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious! I spent summers as a child making delicious treats like this with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you made the jam and that you're enjoying it! love the fabric pieces you added too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. o wow! i would love to make strawberry jam. what a good idea. xo jillian:: enter to win a $100 shopping spree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! How fun :) I want to do this someday. My friend went blueberry picking this weekend. Would be fun to make some blueberry jam, too.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete