Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Restaurant Style Salsa


My favorite snack, hands down, is chips and salsa. If I were stranded on a desert island with only a few select foods in tow, they would undoubtedly be chips and salsa, cheese, and milk. And maybe ice cream. Caleb even mentioned to me the other day (over a snack of chips and salsa, naturally) that he never really ate chips and salsa until he married me. With this in mind, it's hard to believe that I only made my first batch of homemade salsa a few weeks ago. I used Pioneer Woman's recipe which makes a large amount, perfect for salsa lovers like us. Even though the recipe calls for canned tomatoes, we couldn't get over how fresh this salsa tasted!

Restaurant Style Salsa
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes with juice
2 cans (10 oz) Rotel
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup cilantro (more to taste)
juice of 1 lime

Combine all ingredients into a large blender or food processor (you can also process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large bowl). Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed. Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.

*I found that this lasts for about a week in the fridge. I did not freeze any, so I have no tips regarding that.

source: recipe from the pioneer woman

No comments:

Post a Comment