Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reading, Lately


Delicious! I have read most of Ruth Reichl's books and really enjoyed them, so I was thrilled to hear she had written her first novel. This ended up being my favorite book of hers, and I certainly hope she will continue writing fiction. She is such an excellent writer, and I didn't want to put this book down. Oh wait, I was at the beach so I literally did not put the book down all day :)

Choosing Gratitude This book really challenged and stretched me in the area of being thankful. Having an attitude of thanksgiving really transforms your person, your day, and really your whole life. I especially loved the chapter on worship. The author says that you cannot whine and worship simultaneously, which is so true. There is so much to be thankful for, and if we are in a constant state of thankfulness, it translates to worship, and as we worship we will not even be able to whine or complain.

The Fault in Our Stars I had really high expectations for this book after hearing about it and seeing it everywhere, and I'm afraid they weren't quite met. That isn't to say it wasn't good, because it was. It was a great beach read, which is incidentally where I read it. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly was missing from the book that would have made it a great read for me. I think I just wish the book hadn't been hyped up so much.

The Nazi Officer's Wife I initially bought this book for Caleb to read while we were on vacation, but I finished all of my books and needed another, so I picked up this one. It was quite a fascinating read about, as you can imagine from the title, a Jewish woman who survives the Holocaust by marrying a Nazi officer. I loved the autobiographical view of World War II and the Holocaust. It was a gripping read and, like any other book on the Holocaust, left me in disbelief at all that happened throughout the Holocaust. Definitely recommend it if you're enjoy memoirs or history or World War II.

Delancey This is Molly Wizenberg's (of the blog Orangette) second book. Her first book is one of my all-time favorite books, so I knew I would love this one as well. This book chronicles Molly and her husband's journey through opening their restaurant: the stress, the fun, the recipes, all of it. It reaffirmed to me that I would never survive in the restaurant business, but I really love Molly's style of writing.

What have you been reading so far this summer?

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about The Fault in Our Stars... I am almost to the end and while the first half of the book was fantastic, I'm finding myself totally losing interest now and kind of just waiting for it to be over. I'm hoping the movie is better! Looking forward to getting into Molly Wizenberg's books too.

    ReplyDelete