Friday, January 31, 2014

Italian Quiche


Most evenings after I get home from work, the last thing I feel like doing it spending two hours in the kitchen putting dinner together. Crockpot recipes, leftovers, and simple recipes are my go-to on those nights, and that often includes quiche. This has been one of my favorite quiche recipes for years: the Italian flavors really come through with the mozzarella cheese and the herbs, and I love the subtle flavor of mustard. I hope you have a great weekend!

Italian Quiche
1 refrigerated pie crust
2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup salted butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup onion, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash
2 eggs, well beaten
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9- or 10-inch quiche pan with pie crust. Spread the prepared mustard over the pie crust.

In a large saucepan, melt butter, and add garlic, onion, parsley, basil, and oregano. Cook until onion is slightly tender. Add sliced zucchini and squash. Cook until tender. Remove from heat and add beaten eggs and cheese. Pour mixture into prepared quiche pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until crust is brown on the edges and the egg mixture is set. Allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Serves 8.

source: recipe slightly adapted from family friend Mary R.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I want to try it sometime. For anybody who needs a gluten-free pie crust, I've made a quiche with a brown rice crust before (plus eggs) which is delish. There's also a potato pie crust I want to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious - i have never thought of quiche for dinner but it's a perfect weeknight recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for veggie heavy meals. this one seems to combine veggies with comfort food and I love it. can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete