Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My First Produce Box


Last week I picked up my first produce box! Here's what was in it:

1 pineapple
1 cantaloupe
6 kiwi
3 lbs oranges
1 mango
1 head of Romaine
1 pint grape tomatoes
8 oz cremini mushrooms
1 lb cucumber
1 bag radishes
2 lbs sweet potatoes

I couldn't believe how much stuff I got! I previously had had several reservations about the whole produce box/fruit & veggie co-op deal. Like what if I didn't want whatever was delivered that week? Or what if I couldn't eat everything fast enough? Or was it a lot more expensive compared to the grocery store? If you've been on the fence about participating in a weekly produce box, here are a few things I learned.

Find a box + system that works for you. With the box I got (Marvin's Produce), they list on their website exactly what's in the box. That way I can decide whether or not I need/want the produce they're offering, and I don't feel like I'm wasting my money. They also offer the same box for two weeks in a row. I will only get a box every other week, so I won't be wasting anything and I also won't be missing out on the in-between weeks, since it's the same box.

It gets you out of your rut + it helps with meal planning. Since I do find out ahead of time what I'll be getting, I can look up recipes and figure out how I want to use everything I'll be getting. I plan my meals out for the week, so knowing what produce I'll have helps narrow down what I'll be preparing during the week. I also loved this box because it got us out of our fruit rut. We've had a lot of bananas, grapes, and apples lately, but I didn't buy any of that last week. Instead we had all of the fruit in the box! I'm such a creature of habit, so I like that it forced me out of our boring fruit rut.

It isn't expensive. Again, I can only speak from my own experience and my own box. But at Publix with last week's prices, all of that produce would have cost me $32 (plus whatever radishes cost, because I couldn't find those). I paid $17.50 for everything in that above photo, and $2.50 of that was a donation to Susan G. Komen. So I paid less than half of what I would have paid at Publix! Now if you want an all-organic box or if you shop at a really cheap grocery store, then that could change things. But since I only shop at Publix, I know exactly what my savings are and they are good!

Have I convinced you yet? :) I'm curious - how many of you regularly get a produce box, or participate in some sort of food co-op?

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to do this Sherri! This looks like an awesome opportunity! I'm not looking for options in Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan & I just signed up for our first CSA in Blacksburg this week.. we get our first share on November 2! It's such a fun way to be involved in the community and try foods you might have passed up otherwise. Ours will mostly be seasonal vegetables and long-lasting staples like garlic and onions. I'm interested to see how much we get, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, Sherri! It's like Chopped every time you get a box! I'd be curious to know how you use some of the less familiar ingredients that you end up getting!

    ReplyDelete