Monday, September 30, 2013

Texas Tabbouleh // A Bulgur Recipe


Have you ever eaten bulgur? I had been wanting to try it, and since I decided against going gluten-free (another story for another time), I gave bulgur its first test drive in the below tabbouleh recipe. I bought my bulgur at Trader Joe's (the quick 10-minute kind), and it worked great in this recipe. Bulgur is a form of wheat that has been parboiled, cracked, and dry. It's a low-glycemic-index food, and it has a bunch of fiber and B vitamins. This tabbouleh strays a little from the traditional version with parsley and mint, but it was really flavorful and definitely a win for my first attempt at bulgur. 

Texas Tabbouleh
1 cup bulgur
2 cups boiling water
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
juice of one lime
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz crumbled feta cheese

Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes or until bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well, pressing out excess water. Cool completely.

Stir in tomatoes, onion, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Add beans; toss to combine. Stir in feta until well combined. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes. Stir again before serving. Serves 6-8.

source: recipe adapted from Taste of Home

2 comments:

  1. Where has Sherri been? It's fall and I miss your fall food and decor! I have never had this but I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! thanks for the bulgar tip. while i try to avoid gluten i definitely can't give it up (and luckily it's not a health thing for me). the things i appreciate the most in life (pies, pizza, a perfect bowl of pasta) is too much for me to lose. i live once, ya know.

    ReplyDelete