Monday, February 4, 2013

Spinach Tomato Orzo Soup



The weather around here lately has been fluctuating from cold and rainy to the mid-70s. I would rather stay with the mid-70s, but the cold winter nights are perfect for dinners of soup and warm bread. My mother-in-law made this soup over Christmas, and I immediately added it to my to-make-asap list. The original recipe makes a TON, so I've adjusted the quantities to serve 6-8. I also don't really like watery soups, so I decreased the liquid. The great thing about soup is that it's easy to play around with until you get results you're pleased with. 

Spinach Tomato Orzo Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1/2 lb frozen spinach, defrosted
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 lb orzo pasta
1/2 of a 19 oz package Italian sausage, casings removed, cooked, and crumbled
crushed red pepper (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Add garlic, basil, and oregano and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth, water, spinach, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat to medium.

Add in the cooked sausage and the orzo; cook for 12-15 minutes, or until orzo is tender. Season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.

source: recipe adapted from babble

6 comments:

  1. I think I told you before I have never made soup...now with your recipes I need to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious! and 70 degrees?? it's not supposed to get above freezing here all week haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh perfect for cold weather nights! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo yes - i have lots of orzo in my pantry and this is going to be a great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious and healthy!

    xx L
    www.sparklingfootsteps.com

    ReplyDelete