Monday, December 10, 2012

Pecan Pie



I apologize for my blogging absence last week - we were busy getting all Christmasy up in here with parties, shopping, decorating, and more shopping.  I can't believe Christmas is in just a little over two weeks!!  In case you're beginning to plan your holiday menu or are baking for friends/neighbors/parties, here is a recipe for a holiday classic:  pecan pie. Earlier this fall I made german chocolate pecan pie bars and chocolate pecan pie granola, but it is time for the real deal folks.  

Pecan Pie
basic pie dough, rolled out and fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
4 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups pecan halves

Heat oven to 375 degrees with rack set in lowest position.  Using kitchen shears or a paring knife, trim dough to a 1-inch overhang.  With floured fingers, fold overhang under itself to form a rim; pinch between thumb and forefinger to form a uniform edge around rim of pie plate.  Crimp with fingertips. Transfer dough-lined pie plate to refrigerator.

Make filling: in a large bowl, whisk eggs, corn syrup, sugars, butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth; mix in pecans. Pour mixture into chilled pie crust; place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake until filling jiggles slightly in the center when gently shaken, 50-60 minutes.

Cool pie completely in plate, 5-6 hours.  Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

source: recipe from Martha Stewart

P.S. Chocolate Pecan Pie that sounds amazing!  Caleb wanted traditional pecan pie, but I have my eye on this recipe for next time:)

5 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I have never made a pie...gasp I know but I think I might try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - you know it! but man - the classic looks just as good here. i love how simply a pecan pie comes together and how decadent and delicious it is. one of my all time favorite desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Well, not for me, as I'm allergic to nuts lol, but my family likes to do homemade type gifts, and I think my dad would love this, especially if he could keep it all for himself! Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good to find content like this on the internet. I have tried to read more often in order to acquire knowledge and your article has contributed a lot with this. Thank you.

    Meu último texto é sobre como emagrecer rápido com Detox Inteligente

    ReplyDelete