Friday, August 17, 2012

Skillet Shrimp & Orzo



I've realized that we eat chicken for about 90% of our dinners.  It's just so easy and healthy and I find so many chicken recipes that I want to try!  So I decided to break out of my fowl rut and I tried a new shrimp dish.  It is such a simple dish to throw together after work but it was full of flavor and a delicious change from our go-to chicken.  Have a great weekend!

Skillet Shrimp & Orzo
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups halved grape tomatoes 
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 pound orzo
3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined 
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in top position.  In a large broiler-proof skillet, heat 5 tsp oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until just beginning to brown, 1 minute.  Increase heat to high and add tomatoes; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 minutes.  Add orzo and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until liquid is mostly absorbed, 10-12 minutes.

Toss shrimp with 1 tsp oli and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.  Remove skillet from oven and place shrimp on top of orzo. Heat broiler.  Broil until shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 minutes.  Sprinkle with basil and serve.

source: recipe from Everyday Food, May 2012

7 comments:

  1. oh my word this sounds amazing. thank you so much for sharing this! i love shrimp dishes and this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. i made this tonight, just used some chicken andouille sausage because i didn't have shrimp - it was amazing! thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  2. A lot of favorite ingredients in this one! Bookmarking:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in here - so vibrant. Looks pretty yummy too.

    And welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from Colleen's blog for this recipe. Can't wait to try it! Oh, and we eat so much chicken that my husband started calling me "chicken little." :) I'll be trying this dish soon! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just made me hungry again! I definitely didn't eat enough for tonight's dinner.

    ReplyDelete