Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What Do You Do For Fun?

via

The chapter I'm reading this month from The Happiness Project is all about play and having fun.  So for the June goals in my own happiness project, I started thinking about what I like to do for fun.  I realized that there are several (and probably even more) types of fun.

1) Some things are fun for what you get out of it.  Like reading the classics.  Personally, I did not actually enjoy reading Anna Karenina.  But I like knowing that I have read it, which makes it fun now.  So that's not exactly pure fun; it's more of a fun-because-it's-done kind of fun.

2) Other things are fun as a whole, but may include certain steps that aren't fun.  I love having a blog and that is something that is definitely fun for me.  But when I'm struggling with good lighting and can't get the exact shot I want, it's frustrating in that moment, instead of fun.  

3) And then there's just pure, easy fun.  And that is the kind of fun that I want to focus on this month.  Things that I want to do just because I want to do them; not because they are beneficial or I feel obligated to do them for any reason.

When I was trying to figure out what things I enjoy purely because they are relaxing or fun, I kept coming back to this quote from The Happiness Project: "What you enjoyed as a ten-year-old is probably something you'd enjoy now."  So I thought about that, and I came up with a pretty short list of things I liked doing when I was 10:  reading, coloring, cutting pretty things out of magazines, and baking chocolate chip cookies.

And that is how I came up with my "goals" for June:

1. Read books for fun.  I have a stack of books that I know I should read, but this month I'm setting those aside for just fun books.

2. Color.  I've always found coloring a wonderful stress-reliever, and I think it's because it produces nothing and benefits no one - it's just fun and relaxing.  So I want to bust out my old coloring books and crayons.

3. Get back on Pinterest.  I haven't been on Pinterest much lately, but I really do enjoy finding pretty things and filing away fun ideas that I find.

4. Try a new chocolate chip cookie recipe.  When I was 10 my best friends and I would make chocolate chip cookies all the time.  It's refreshing sometimes to make something as simple and basic as chocolate chip cookies.

So what do you do for fun?  What did you do for fun when you were a ten-year-old?

via

8 comments:

  1. sherri, we are very similar in regards to the classics!!!! i love reading the genre, but i don't necessarily love every single book. it's more the feeling of accomplishment and ability to understand social references.

    hope you are well!
    janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate chip cookies are always fun...and I like to paint even though I haven't done it in a long time. I loved reading when I was young, and I still love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought a fishing license and some fishing gear. When my girls were little I would take them fishing at mom and dad's pond. It's something I decided to do again just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals!! Love the Hemmingway quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to this! One thing that I like to do for fun is bake, and I haven't baked in FAR TOO LONG! I may stop to buy baking sheets and cupcake holders or brownie pans simply so that I can bake. I love being in the kitchen, and baking I enjoy much more than cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that last picture and quote! i, too, bake for fun. it's a great stress reliever and something i've enjoyed since i was little. i also LOVE swinging. brian and i found an empty swingset in an NYC park a few weekends ago and it just made my day. i could stay on a swingset for hours (and have before). i also like taking a nap whenever i gosh darn feel like it. i don't nap a lot, but i love just nodding off for 15 minutes, or deliberately taking one, on a lazy afternoon. just the perfect, carefree feeling. and, of course, sharing a meal with someone. fun to me is spending time with loved ones over a good meal. my favorite pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping you would cook something for fun this month. You're so good at it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, definitely still love to color- was just coloring a picture of a big hot dog and hamburger in Charis's coloring book the other day. But there's one hitch in this theory- I embarrassingly still enjoyed Barbies when I was 10. Pretty sure I wouldn't like that now. But I guess ya never know... my Barbie soda shop was pretty cool...

    ReplyDelete