Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Peanut Butter Pie

Today is my brother's birthday; he would have turned 22 this year.  Almost every year, he would request peanut butter pie instead of a traditional birthday cake.  So last night I made his favorite peanut butter pie in his honor.  I can't send him a card or buy him a present or call him and sing him happy birthday--I can't do any of the things that I've always done on his birthday.  But I can make his favorite pie.  And tonight, when I take a bite of this pie, for even a few seconds it might feel just a little like almost every May 23rd that I've ever known.



Peanut Butter Pie
24 Nutter Butter cookies
5 Tbsp butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
8 oz Cool Whip, thawed

Crush cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin.  Mix crumbs and melted butter together.  Press on to bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate.

Mix cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until well blended.  Gently stir in 1 1/2 cups of Cool Whip until blended together.  Spoon mixture into crust.

Freeze for four hours or overnight until firm.  Let stand 30 minutes or until pie can be cut easily.  Garnish with remaining whipped topping.

source: recipe from a dear family friend

16 comments:

  1. Awww I know his birthday must be hard every year....that is so sweet of you to make the pie to honor him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, looks delicious! Love you Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm that looks delicious. I'm sure your brother would love it. This day must be hard... I'll be praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you wrote this post. Hope it was therapeutic for you! I love you girl. I'm always here if you want to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Sherri I can only imagine how hard this day must be...good for you for still celebrating his life and making something he would have loved. Looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate his honor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutter butter cookies as the crust?! Hellooooo YUMMY in my tummy!

    I think that this is such a sweet way to honor and celebrate him! Thinking of you :) And I think you should have two slices, one for him and one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree with jessamyn!! so glad you wrote this post. i feel like i got to know david a little bit more thanks to a yummy recipe for his favorite dessert, what a fun way to remember him despite many other not-so-fun emotions. love you girl, go eat a cinnamon crunch bagel for me and smile :)

    janelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coincidence that I read your blog today after weeks of not being on here for lack of internet/cell phone reception (i.e. no smartphone facebooking or reading blogs)? I think not! I'll be praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you, Sherri! And I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been praying for you and your family today! Love you Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for loving David so much. I miss him. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh sherri. you once again show how devoted and loving of a person you are, qualities i've admired from afar. i'm sure your brother is happy to know his memory lives on like this. such a big hug from up here in nyc. you're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Colleen could not have said it any better. What an amazing way to to honor your brother's memory. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw happy birthday to your brother. I would LOVE to have this on my birthday! ;)

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sherri, I'm sure your brother is delighted that you made this in honor of his memory. Hope you had a piece for yourself & him.

    ReplyDelete