Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream



I have this problem where I avoid tackling big, overwhelming tasks by busying myself with other non-essential, though time-consuming, tasks.  Like one week before we moved, I had zero boxes packed!  And instead of spending time packing, we went strawberry picking all Saturday morning.  Then I decided to make four batches of strawberry jam and this strawberry ice cream.  I prefer to operate in full-blown denial - as long as I can end my day with a bowl of ice cream.

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk (I used whole)

Combine the strawberries, 1/3 c sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Whisk in the 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.  Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Remove the strawberries from the fridge and mash to a puree.  Drain the juice from the strawberries and whisk it into the cream base just before transferring it to the ice cream maker.  Freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the mashed strawberries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.  Makes 1 generous quart.

source:  recipe from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

13 comments:

  1. Wow ... this looks amazing! I'm not sure I've ever had fresh strawberry ice cream before ... yummmmmyyyyy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of that too, but it looks totally worth it! I love that flower petal bowl too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, that sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was JUST thinking yesterday how fun it would be to make some homemade ice cream. Yum that must have been amazing with the fresh strawberries. Moving is so stressful. I'm always relieved when it's all over. I will say movers are the BEST THING EVER. I don't think I'll ever go back to not having movers.

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the BEST summer treat! And I am SO excited to see more photos of your new abode!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i swear my parents had that cookbook when we were growing up and and used the recipes all the time to make homemade ice cream. need to go buy an ice cream maker now

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'll have to try your recipe next time! i just made jam (your sister's recipe) and ice cream after strawberry picking, too! i made the ice cream i found on annie's eats with sour cream, and while good, it was a bit icy…don't know why since the sour cream is supposed to make it extra creamy! hope unpacking is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, I prefer the denial route too, just so long as I can get away with it. I haven't had strawberry ice cream in SO long! Maybe when it stops raining and is a little warmer out, I'll hit up my favorite ice cream shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks soooo good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This ice cream looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh myyy goodness, this looks so good. I love, love ice cream (seriously, I just got home from Dairy Queen). But homemade is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i bet with the chunks of strawberry this is beyond better than store-bought. i'm also looking to try strawberry buttercream frosting this summer...hoping i can make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How refreshing...got to love when you can make ice cream, especially in the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete