Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken with Red Rice


This is a recipe you want to make ASAP.  I found it through pinterest and made it a few days later.  The verdict:  the best dinner we've had in a while.  It was that good!  It combines so many of my favorite things (bacon, cheese, chicken) and there's the perfect amount of kick with the jalapenos.  Don't let the "stuffed" part scare you away; it's not hard and I didn't have any problems with it falling out.

Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I only used 4 but I think there's enough filling for 6)
1 cup seasoned panko (I used regular panko and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  

Stir together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon, and jalapenos in a small bowl.

Cut a pocket horizontally through the thickest side of each chicken breast, and fill with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. (Imagine it to look like a loaded baked potato; arrange the chicken breast so that the pocket is facing upward with the cheese mixture inside.)

Roll the chicken breasts in the panko to coat.  Place chicken breasts on prepared baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

source:  recipe adapted from cassie craves

Red Rice
2 Tbsp canola oil
6 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 tsp chili powder
salt & black pepper

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1-2 minutes.  Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the grains are opaque, 2-3 minutes.  Add the broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and stir to combine.  Bring to a simmar and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, 25-30 minutes.

Remove the rice from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and fold in the scallion greens before serving.

source: recipe from Real Simple, March 2012

19 comments:

  1. Bacon, cheese, and chicken...sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pinning this so I will remember! I make chicken at least once a week and love trying new recipes! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish i was there digging in :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks beautiful! i'll have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay you didn't even have to sell to me that this was the best dinner you've had in a while because the fact that the words "jalepeno popper" were in the title already had me convinced! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Phil would love this! I gotta pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rice so this is the perfect recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, please! Bookmarking this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you never cease to amaze me. YOU ARE INCREDIBLY LUCKY CALEB. i hope he heard me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowzers... that looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I've never had red rice before! Looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely need to try this recipe! Both M and I really love jalapeno poppers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good. You totally had me at jalapeno!

    I am your newest follower. I just finished The Happiness Project (and blogged about it) and someone recommended your blog to me, since you were doing your own. I am enjoying catching up on everything I have missed so far. I really enjoyed the book, and have found that it is making a positive impact on my life. Did you see she has a new book coming out that is geared towards happiness in the home? I can't wait!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen anything look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like an AWESOME summer meal! Thank you Sherri! I love my spicey foods:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. Spicy foods are the best. Definitely going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was dinner tonight! Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bacon + cheese are like my kids' favorite foods! I just learned how to roast chicken breast and I was amazed at how flavorful it was with just a little salt/pepper. This takes it to a whole new level!!

    ReplyDelete