Monday, March 19, 2012

Spiced Chicken with Couscous Salad


On the list of things that make me happy, somewhere between falling asleep to the sound of rain and paying for something with exact change, is a colorful plate of food.  I just love the way the basil and the snap peas contrast with the bright red of the tomatoes in this couscous salad.  This is one of the easiest dinners to make and it was super flavorful due to all of the fresh ingredients.  We spent yesterday afternoon laying by the pool and came home to have this for dinner -- it felt like a summer day.  Happy Monday!  

Spiced Chicken with Couscous Salad
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I cut mine in half so they would cook faster)
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup couscous
3/4 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 pound snap peas, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup torn fresh basil
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Combine the paprika, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine.  Place each chicken breast half in the seasonings and turn to coat.  Cook chicken until browned and cooked through, about 6-7 minutes per side.  Transfer to a cutting board.

Meanwhile, place the couscous in a large bowl.  Add 1 cup hot tap water, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.  Add the tomatoes, snap peas, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and toss to combine.

Slice the chicken and serve over the couscous.

source:  recipe from Real Simple, June 2010

14 comments:

  1. I've never made couscous from some reason but it is delicious and I'm always up for chicken! I love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, we have lots in common! I love falling asleep to the sound of rain and paying w/ exact change makes me so happy, as well, minus the stress that I feel when people are waiting behind me to hurry up and get my change counted. :) And colorful food is so happy!! I love colors. Felix and I have been looking at strollers and for me the color is super important - he could not care less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like heaven! Thanks for sharing - it sounds so fresh and healthy. Glad you enjoyed a day at the pool! I think I need one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a perfect day! And what a yummy, colorful meal! So with you on paying with exact change too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks beautiful; I love all the colors! I think I'm going to have to add this to my list of things to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good! Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so easy and delicious! and you know i love fluffing couscous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a colorful plate of food! I had had a weird food adversion to chicken even since I have been pregnant but you made chicken look really good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh good one lady. I love coucous. Such a healthy and yummy looking dish! If you like rain, you should head over here. We've had a lot lately lol.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so fresh & colorful. I knew I shouldn't have looked at this before lunch! LOL....now my stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing. You're getting really good at food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a really good one...and I just checked out your chocolate chip cookie recipe! You're killing me (in a good way)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, cous cous! That sounds so good to me right now. I made chicken on Sunday night and just had the leftovers. They definitely would have tasted better with some of your cous cous salad.

    P.S. So happy that you're getting back into running :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tomatoes look amazing! Love the springy feel of this dish.

    ReplyDelete