Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Green Smoothie That Actually Tastes Good


I'm the kind of girl who likes to eat french toast or banana bread with bourbon and chocolate for breakfast.  When I'm feeling healthy I'll make a fruit and yogurt parfait, but that's about as healthy as I get first thing in the morning.  I made a green smoothie with kale in it once in my life, and I promptly dumped it down the kitchen sink.  But this week I decided it was time to give it another go, so I tried this green smoothie that Joy the Baker swears doesn't taste like spinach and kale. And it doesn't!  This smoothie is so delicious, and coming from someone who considers chocolate and legitimate breakfast food, you know it has to be good.  I've eaten this for breakfast every day this week, and it fills me up and tastes yummy.  I'm a green smoothie convert!

Kale Spinach Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
1/2 cup chopped kale leaves
1/2 cup chopped spinach leaves, thick stems removed
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1 frozen banana, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 Tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp honey
1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter

In a blender, mix kale, spinach, milk and yogurt until no large green pieces remain.  Stop blender and add banana. Mix until incorporated.  Stop blender and add flax seed, honey, and peanut butter. Blend until thoroughly combined.

source:  recipe adapted from Joy the Baker Cookbook

19 comments:

  1. Is that your tablecloth?? it is so cute! Thanks for sharing this recipe for a GOOD green smoothie - it sounds delicious (I would say looks delicious but it doesn't actually... I'm going on faith that you're telling the truth!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...it looks scary to me but I trust your judgement so I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this does sound pretty good (and I have a sweet tooth like you so I trust you). do you make a fresh batch every morning or a lot for the week or cut up all the leaves at the beginning of the week? I'm so lazy in the mornings so I'd love if you can just make a big batch ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is best made daily it gets kind of funky when it sits in the fridge. I buy organic spinach and spring mix at costco and I just grab a handful of each no chopping. Kale I just pull the leaf off the stem.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I think that it might get kind of weird sitting in the fridge. Especially because the frozen banana helps the texture to be creamy and I think that would be lost in the fridge and it would just get watery - ick! I would like to take off the stems ahead of time and separate out the portions of spinach and kale I need to save time, but I haven't done that yet.

      Delete
  4. I have been green smoothie-ing for awhile. I don't put any dairy in mine. I love my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm I'm going to go out on a limb and trust you. I'm SO not a green veggie person ever, but if it doesn't taste like green, I'll give it a go =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has been after me to make stuff with Kale...maybe this will be a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the prettiest green smoothie I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I do mine with Spinach, avocado, banana, pineapple, yogurt and O.J. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally the same way, I consider a cookie breakfast food. I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole green smoothie thing, but I am willing to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huge fan of kale..and with the banana I bet this is SO tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...I'm still skeptical, but I do like the thought of peanut butter in a smoothie. I made a fruity one for lunch today and shared some with mallory. She's a big fan! She kept calling it a 'scoothie', though, which was pretty cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love coming up with different combinations of "green smoothies." Except this week, I had an epic fail because I ran out of bananas, AND it tasted off without the banana. Oh well! Happy Friday, Sherri! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks delicious and healthy!!! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love me a green smoothie! this looks like a great recipe too! happy weekend gal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so with you on the breakfast food, give me some French Toast any day! My husband has been totally into juicing lately (beets, kale, carrots) and I'm trying to get on board. Your version sounds MUCH more drinkable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made it (without measuring...) and it was delicious! My husband liked it, even after seeing the kale being put in it!

    ReplyDelete