Friday, February 17, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies



I live with a pretty much constant craving for Little Debbies.  I hate that they always have their own endcap at the grocery store!  The only thing that keeps me from buying them is knowing I would end up eating the whole box, since Caleb doesn't get into store-bought cookies.  And eating an entire box of Little Debbies is just sad.  So to satisfy my craving for sandwich cookies like oatmeal cream pies or fudge rounds, I made these peanut butter oatmeal sandwich cookies.  Caleb totally got on board with these, so I could enjoy my fair share guilt-free.

P.S. My absolute favorite sandwich cookies!

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
for the cookies:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oats (quick-cooking or rolled)

for the filling:
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 Tbsp heavy cream

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Stir together with a fork to blend. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the egg and vanilla extract.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated.  Stir in the oats until evenly blended.

Use a small cookie dough scoop to portion out the dough, rolling each portion into a ball, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet, a couple inches apart.  Bake about 10 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking.  The cookies will be light golden brown and slightly puffed.  Let cool on the baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with the remaining dough.

Once the cookies have cooled completely, pair them up by size.  To make the filling, combine the butter, peanut butter, and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Cream together until well combined.  Mix in the heavy cream until smooth and fluffy.  Spread the filling onto the flat side of one cookie of each pair.  Sandwich together with the remaining cookie and press down (lightly) so that the filling reaches the edges.  

source:  recipe from annie's eats, originally from all recipes

14 comments:

  1. YUmmmmo!! And great pictures my friend! Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! Michael loves peanut butter, so I might have to try them. Great photos too!

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killin' me, Sherri, killin' me! I think I could eat just the frosting alone, it sounds so tasty! Have a great weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone in my family would go crazy for these, including my dog who would ignore every command she ever learned just to get a lick of peanut butter. These look great!

    -Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I would eat the heck out of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. my. word. i just went to heaven. although...i do have a stray jar of chocolate frosting that i don't know what to do with. i think i may make the cookies and use that frosting. this is an exciting idea for a friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo! Happy weekend to you dear girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious!!! I'm pinning this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh! these look so good!! my mouth is watering! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oatmeal cream pies have been one of my favortie treats ever sine I was a little girl! I'm glad someone shares my love for boxed baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have such scrumptious recipes - these cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey did Lil Debbie pay you for this? They now have these. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey did Lil Debbie pay you for this? They now have these. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete