Friday, February 24, 2012

Cake Pops for Beginners





My fun goal for 2012 was to make cake pops!  When I've done it before they crumbled and didn't stay on the stick and it was a disaster.  Last week I decided it was time to try again - and they turned out!  I got into a good rhythm and the ones at the end of the batch even looked pretty!  I brought them for the weekend with my family and everyone, especially my nieces, loved them.  I found these tips to be very helpful, so I'm going to spell out how I had success with my cake pops, if you wish to make them.

Cake Pops
supplies:
box of cake mix
can of frosting 
lollipop sticks
styrofoam (I got mine in the floral department at Michael's)
sprinkles
mini treat bags or cellophane candy wrappers
twist-ties 

1. Make cake in 9x13 pan according to box directions.  Let cool completely!

2. Scoop the cake out with a spoon and crumble it into a large mixing bowl.  The crumbs should be fine - you don't want big chunks of cake in there.

3. Add frosting to the cake crumbs and mix to combine.  I started with just 1/3 of the can.  Test the consistency by rolling into a ball.  If the cake ball crumbles in your hand, add a little bit more of the frosting.  (I used just under half of the can.)  

4. Roll out your cake balls.  If you're having trouble getting them to be uniform in size, use a small cookie dough scoop.  I was able to get 32 cake balls.  Put them in a casserole dish with a lid, or on a rimmed baking sheet covered with saran wrap or foil.  Place them in the refrigerator overnight.

5. Melt your candy melts according to the bag instructions, but add 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil to the candies before sticking in the microwave.  This will help thin out the melts a little.

6. Dip your lollipop stick (about 1") into the melts and then stick into the cake ball about halfway.  Repeat with the the rest of the cake balls.

7. Place the cake balls with the sticks into the freezer for about 7 minutes (I used an 8x8 dish so that it would fit into my already-full freezer, so I did this in batches).

8. Dip the cake ball straight into the bowl of melts.  Do NOT swirl the cake pop in the melts.  Use a spoon to pour more of the melts over the cake ball if it is not completely covered.  If the cake ball is not completely covered, some of the cake might ooze out of the bottom, so make sure you cover it completely. 

9. Pull the cake pop out of the melts and then lightly tap the lollipop stick on the side of the bowl to get rid of excess coating.  You may want to gently roll the lollipop stick in your fingers to help make sure the coating is even.  

10. Place the dipped cake pop into the styrofoam to let harden.  If some of the coating drips down the lollipop stick, then you know that you need to let more drip off before sticking in the styrofoam.
  
11. If you're decorating the cake pops with sprinkles, place the styrofoam on a rimmed baking sheet to help catch the sprinkles.  Decorate with sprinkles immediately after dipping.

12. Once cake pops have hardened and are dry, put the cellophane wrappers over and close with a twist-tie.  Store at room temperature.

24 comments:

  1. Can we just talk about how professional and perfect these turned out?! I finally semi-mastered the cake ball/pop craze, and I ate the ENTIRE batch by myself. They were super tasty! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I've heard they are a bit challenging. But they're so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made these...but they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously those are professional looking! Great job on your second try. I have never tried to make these but think they are SO cute for a party or shower. I will definitely come back here to review your tips when I eventually try to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a pro!! These look SO good!! Every time I go to Starbucks I am always temped to try one out...its just one teeny little bite of cake right?..I can do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those turned out SO good! I have been wanting to make them for so long, but never have, in fear that they would turn out more of a disaster lol! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look great! I may even have to give them a try sometime. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly mastered the cake ball! Wow...fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore tutorials like this. So making them for Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is easily the best tutorial i've seen on these, and it's a miracle you got to work after all the failed attempts i've heard of, so i know it must work. once i have a bigger kitchen i'd love it try it - filing this one away now.

    p.s. my cookies were delicious last night. thanks for that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my boys would love these. and i'm sure like to "help" make them too. can't i just get them one at starbucks though! kidding. this might be a fun weekend project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to get brave and just try making some. I've heard 50 50 success the first time. Some people have the knack while others don't lol.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These looks so pretty Sherri. Actually, to be honest, they look professional! I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Sherri! These came out beautifully! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job, they turned out super cute! Cake pops are such a fun treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Glad you conquered cake pops. My sister's friend bought me the cake pops book for Christmas about a year ago, but I have yet to make them. They seem kind of challenging, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These were awesome! They had the perfect blend of cake and icing, just enough to keep them moist and delicious! I'm pinning this for a party I hope to have one day...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What perfect timing - I'm making some tomorrow for Henry's birthday party. I'm using donut holes so I hope it works. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they are so perfectly pretty! mine always come out looking not so hot! thanks gal~

    ReplyDelete
  20. i totally remember your first try! glad they turned out this time! :) we need to catch up, by the way. i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sprinkles! What a festive little treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been wanting to try these! I think I will try for my sons birthday. Thanks for the motivation Sherri!
    :) Anna

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never made cake pops but have always wanted to. Yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete