Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bacon-Cheese Quiche



When I need a quick and easy dinner, I'm finding that I often turn to quiche.  On Wednesday nights we attend a small group with our church, and there's just not enough time for me to cook a complex meal before we leave.  This was the most recent quiche I made, and it was simple and delicious - like most quiches are.

Bacon-Cheese Quiche
1 homemade or store-bought single-crust pie dough
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
coarse salt and ground pepper
6 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Place dough in a 9-inch pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edge.  Place a sheet of parchment paper over dough and fill with pie weights or dried beans.  Bake until edge is dry and light golden, about 20 minutes.  Remove parchment and weights.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-heat high.  Add onion and green pepper, cooking until tender, 8-10 minutes.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cream.  Add onion, green pepper, bacon, and cheese, and season with salt and pepper.  Whisk to combine.  Pour into crust and bake at 375 until center of quiche is just set, 35-45 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  (To store, refrigerate cooled quiche, tightly covered, up to 3 days.)

source: recipe adapted from Everyday Food, December 2011

15 comments:

  1. I love simple, easy dinners! Things are so busy in the evening with the kids doing homework and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love a good quiche. and this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quiche! Looks so great! I make mine with ham, cheese, and green chilies. Such a simple meal that also fills the stomach! I also really like that pottery that you baked it in! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at BACON!

    Seriously though, I love bacon, so much. And this recipe looks so darn good. Maybe I'll make it this weekend! Thanks for sharing :) And happy HUMP day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious! I love quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks simply heavenly, and of course the pictures are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For starters your pictures are so gooood. In my opinion everything is better with bacon so this is going on to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I love quiche for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quiche is one of my favorites! I'm going to have to try this one with the cheddar cheese; I usually use swiss, ,but it's more expensive. Pretty pictures of this dish, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! One of my favorite foods! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quiche, or breakfast food in general, is always my "go-to" meal when I'm running low on time! I was wanting to make some this week actually, so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so yummy. Add some fresh fruit and a muffin. Double yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quiche is a long time favorite breakfast food of mine, so thank you for sharing a good recipe! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made this for lunch today (minus the green pepper and onion) and it was great! The kids loved it, too; ate way more than when I use the swiss cheese. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you swap Swiss for the cheddar and green onions for the green pepper, you get my favorite quiche recipe. They're soooo tasty!!

    ReplyDelete