Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Goals for 2012

via

Happy New Year!  OK, I'm a few days late, but we have been out of town relaxing with family, not thinking about anything!  It feels good to be home, and I'm happy to be back to the blog world!

I love fresh starts, and January is one of my favorite times of the year because it is the ultimate fresh start!  After our time away and off of work, I feel super energized to stay on top of cleaning the house and eating healthily and tackling some projects I've been avoiding.  This brings me to my goals for 2012.

In making my goals for each year, I stay away from vague resolutions like "be healthy" and "get organized".  What does that even mean?  I want a goal that's clear and measurable so that I know exactly what steps I need to take to accomplish that goal.  Not only have I found that this mindset helps me actually meet those goals, it's also much more satisfying along the way.

1. Re-read and put into practice The Happiness Project.  I loved this book and have incorporated some of the principles and habits into my life and have found them very helpful.  Since the book is broken up into a chapter for each month of the year focusing on one area of life, it's basically a year plan of mini goals.  I will be posting about the goals I make each month for that specific area of my life, since I've found announcing it to the internet is a pretty strong source of accountability.


2. Buy a house.  This is our big family goal for the year.  We've started the process and it's exciting!

3. Make ingredients from scratch.  I want to do a better job of controlling our intake of preservatives and high fructose corn syrup, so I want to make some simple things from scratch.  I have a list in my head and will post about them as I make them throughout the year!

4. Get back into memorizing verses of the Bible.  I have fallen out of the practice of regularly memorizing verses, and I miss it.  I want to write them down in a notebook and carry them around in my purse with me.

5. Make cake pops.  This is my fun goal.  I've tried to make them before and utterly failed!  I want to make a perfect batch, meaning they actually stay on the stick, they don't crumble into the chocolate as I dip them, and they look pretty when I'm done!

So there are my goals for the year!  What are your goals for 2012?

15 comments:

  1. Loving your goals! I'm posting my goals later this week :) Happy New Year! Hope you had a great holiday and travel. Can't wait to see what you're looking for and find with the house buying process !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goal list! I have a lot of goals I want to work on but I haven't actually taken the time to figure out which ones are most important. Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great goals! Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday, and enjoyed your trip with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! Buying a house!!!? That is so super exciting..I'm sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are great. i'm excited for your monthly posts from the happiness project. and buying a house - even more exciting! mine is patience - a lot of bigger things will be happening towards the end of 2012 and i have to be good and not try to rush them. just keep swimming...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I have a couple of tips on the cake pops...after making the cake balls, dip the sticks into melted chocolate and stick them into the cake balls. Then, put the whole thing into the freezer to harden. Once the cake pop is frozen, dip it into the melted chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals!! I am recommitting to cutting out junk in my life. I used to eat such a pure diet, but grad school got in the way! Good luck with the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a new house! I can't wait to hear how that goes. Good luck on the cake pops the 2nd time around.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved the happiness project - such a great book and outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on all of your goals. I hope to do those things this year, too. I have yet to start The Happiness Project but hear such positive things about it. I can't wait to dive into it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these new year resolutions. The cake pops sound delicious :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clear goals are so much better than general ones! You came with quite a few good ones. One of mine is to finish reading and seeing all the movies in the Twilight series. I know I am a little late to that & I don't expect some emphinay from this series but I just never read a whole series along with movies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your goals! I have always wanted to make cake pops, so It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Sounds like a good book too, I'll have to check that out. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just felt like I was back at work in a group using the SMART for work goals :) And yes I didn't realize how BAD corn syrup is for you until my husband was reading some articles about it. Great goals for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buying a house?! So exciting! I can't wait to hear about your tales of home buying! And if you run across any cake pop tips, please pass them along. I love cake pops, but the one time I made them you would have thought WW3 was in my kitchen. It was a disaster!

    ReplyDelete