Friday, December 2, 2011

Quick Pastitsio



Whenever we go to my sister Lauren's house, I know I'm going to come home with new recipes, whether it's from her kitchen or from the stack of cooking magazines she has.  I found this recipe as I was flipping through Cooking Light and I knew we would like it.  It originally called for fat-free milk and fat-free cream cheese but, because I like to keep it real around here, I never buy fat-free.   Let's face it:  full-fat just tastes better!  Either way, the cream cheese makes the sauce extra creamy and good.

Quick Pastitsio
8 oz uncooked penne or rotini
1 lb ground sirloin
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Cook beef until brown and crumbly.  Drain and set aside.

Add olive oil to a large saucepan.  Add onion and saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic, saute 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add beef and add salt.  Add flour, cooking 1 minute stirring constantly.  Stir in milk, diced tomatoes, and cream cheese, stirring until smooth.  Bring to a simmer.  Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in pasta.  Pour mixture into a greased 9x13" baking dish.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over all.  Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.

source:  recipe adapted from Cooking Light, October 2011

24 comments:

  1. This looks so good...have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, great pictures! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, creamy and delicious!! a perfect meal :)

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this looks good! will have to try this... love new pasta recipes!

    have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creamy pasta...one of my favorites. Bookmarking to make this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, I just stuffed myself over lunch but I can still look at this picture and think YUM! I am a pastaholic so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very delicious! Will have to pin it to my recipe board!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks sooooo good and I'm totally starving right now!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. paaaaaaastaaaaaaa. i love it. i also call coke that's not diet full fat coke. it's just better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredible! Definitely to make later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds awesome! I need some new pasta recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pasta looks delicious!! I agree that full fat always tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this one in that magazine? Looks so good, even at 8AM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are always up to something delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been adding cream cheese to my pasta dishes as of late and it is delish. This sounds like something I would love:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE cooking light. This looks like an awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you. Full-fat and full-cream is the way to go. This is a great mid-week meal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you - full-cream and full-fat is the way to go. This is a great mid-week meal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at those pics!!! SO delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to try this recipe - it sounds delicious!! The pics make it look so good...:D

    ~Rachel <3
    www.ramblingsbyrachel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sound yummy! You have the best recipes!!

    ReplyDelete