Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wall Photo Collage

Last week I mentioned I had finally finished a project: my wall photo collage!  Since last fall I've been thinking about it and trying to figure out what I wanted to do.

This was my first piece of inspiration.  I liked the eclectic frames and how they were all kind of thrown up there.  After I started collecting different frames, I realized I didn't like it anymore.  I wanted a little more symmetry, and I felt this was just not cohesive enough for me.  I also decided I didn't want any empty frames.
via

Naturally I drifted to the other extreme and really liked how these frames were all the same color and were more organized.  But after I while it started reminding me of a museum the way they were all in such a straight line.  Leave it to Martha to be just a little too perfect!
via

So I settled for something more in the middle: all the same color frames, but not the exact same frames.  A little more organized, but not exactly perfect.  I liked putting just two of the smaller frames vertical.  You almost can't tell, but it looked a lot better than having all of the pictures horizontal.

After I gathered all of my frames and pictures, I laid everything out to get an idea of how I wanted to space it.  Then Caleb and I roughly transferred it to the wall.  Don't look too closely because I'm sure the frames aren't perfectly placed or even straight!  

The other dilemma I also had was which pictures to use.  I wanted it to be pictures of Caleb and me and our families, but I didn't want them to all be from our wedding or from the same day (i.e. family vacation photos). So it took me a little time to gather pictures from mostly different events, making sure everyone looked good in each of them, and that all 15 family members were included!  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I'm so glad that there's finally something on the wall in the guest bedroom!

Do you have a wall photo collage in your house?  I think they're so fun and I love when people have lots of pictures hanging in their house! 

21 comments:

  1. I love all the different pictures you picked! I like that they aren't all from the same event. I can't wait to visit so I can see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have a photo collage but I love how yours turned out! We don't have many empty wall spaces in our house due to how it is laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great Sherri! I have been pinning pictures of gallery walls because I want to do one above the buffet in the dining room, but I've been a wuss and haven't started anything. Yours looks so great that I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a photo collage, but I do have a lot of empty wall space. Your's turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like your wall collage the best so far! I have yet to hang any pictures...and I also am lacking in the picture department (yes, I have empty frames around the house). I'm trying to think of where I want to put a photo collage...

    Thank you for your sweet comment today! I so wish that we could hang out and eat baked goods together. One day we will :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Simple, but perfect. Great choices on the photos. I'd have a collage in every room I have if we didn't have plaster walls throughout most the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photo wall! Yes I have one in our entryway...I love waling past it and seeing all the fun memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photo wall turned out great1 i used to have a picture wall in my first apartment in indianapolis i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! I like what you came up with.

    I have a mini photo collage in my bedroom. Just three photos paired together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out great! I don't have a photo collage...but I really don't have a good wall for one...maybe by the foyer. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dream of having a photo collage wall one day. We don't have enough picture frames yet. I like yours!! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, Judah is lookin good in his pic. Maybe we can get a new one where he looks conscious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out awesome. I love photo collages!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! we have one in our dining room that i really like :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so great! I've never been brave enough to try something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to do a photo collage in my house, too. The thought of spacing everything out and putting nails in the wall really stresses me out though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! I actually have zero pictures up in my apartment... I think I am more of a personal picture person I dont know. Maybe when I have a house i`ll have a picture wall. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks really good! What a great way to display photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love! i don't have one but my boyfriend does, and it looks spectacular. like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great girl!I'm working on my collage now,but my dilemma is same as yours...what photos and trying to include every family member!Sheesh who knew decor could be so confusing?!?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did an awesome job! It came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete