Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce




One of my personal culinary goals has been to make homemade caramel.  I tried making a caramel buttercream back in the spring and it was an utter failure.  I burned two batches of sugar, almost ruined my saucepan, and had to scramble at the last minute to top my cupcakes with another frosting.  This time around I was determined to make vanilla bean caramel sauce to have alongside the hot fudge sauce for our brownie sundae bar.  I was so excited that these directions were spot-on and the caramel turned out!  Not only was it an easy recipe to make, the caramel is so creamy and the vanilla bean takes the flavor to new heights.  This is delicious served on ice cream as well as with apples.

Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Spread the sugar in an even layer over the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.  Place over medium-low heat, watching carefully.  When the sugar begins to liquefy around the edges, use a heatproof spatula to gently stir it towards the center.  Continue stirring very gently until all the sugar is melted, taking care not to over stir.  Measure out the heavy cream in a liquid measuring cup and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream.  Set aside.  Once the caramel reaches a deep amber color, immediately remove the saucepan from the heat. (To test the color, spoon a drop onto a white plate.)  Carefully whisk in half of the heavy cream along with the vanilla bean seeds.  The mixture will steam and bubble violently.  Stir until the cream is well incorporated, then whisk in the remaining cream.  Stir in the salt and the vanilla extract.  If any sugar has hardened, place the saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth.

Store in airtight container in the fridge.  If needed, it can be rewarmed in the microwave at 15-second intervals.

source:  recipe from annie's eats, originally from The Perfect Scoop

23 comments:

  1. These pictures are so great! I always love your food displays :) Wish I had such a good camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks great! Caramel and apples...a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apples with homemade caramel = best snack ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. taffy apples are my favorite things about fall....those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an apple sitting on my desk...if only I had some of that dipping sauce to indulge in for a pre-lunch snack...if only!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have great minds....Sunday I just made a orange caramel sauce. MMM. Caramel is my favorite. I will be trying your version, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am all about vanilla bean, sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I love that you can see the vanilla bean specks in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are great, they make me want an apple with that caramel sauce right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...thanks for posting this recipe. Looks amazing and just the right amount of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word!! That looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I absolutely LOVE homemade carmel sauce! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this post! Sound so good!!

    Fox House giveaway on my blog!
    Take a look and if you like follow me, I’ll be waiting for you: Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so great! Micah loves apples so much he is going to love it when I make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My gut is busting with Thanksgiving goodness, but this little treat looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice job! i made caramel sauce last night, with the same recipe that i always use successfully and the weirdest thing happened - it dried out and crystalized like rock candy. it was quite tasty but definitely not what i was going for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow...that looks so delicious! I love apples with caramel or should I say caramel with apples!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to try this out!!!! Thanks!!! xo

    ReplyDelete