Monday, October 3, 2011

Cream Cheese Banana-Nut Bread


There's something about making banana bread that makes me feel at home.  My mom used to make banana bread all the time when we were little, and I loved helping mash the bananas with a little fork in that little stainless steel bowl. Now in my mom's kitchen it's my nieces who are the ones that help with making the banana bread.  The little girls love pulling up a chair and putting on the aprons to help pour and stir.  I don't have to pull up a chair anymore, but I still like to put on the apron.  

Happy Monday!

Cream Cheese Banana-Nut Bread
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, about 3-4 bananas
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.  Stir in mashed bananas, chopped pecans, and vanilla extract.  Spoon batter into two greased 8x4-inch loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.  If the tops start to get brown, you may want to shield the tops with aluminum foil in the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.  Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and cool 30 minutes on racks before slicing.

source:  recipe from Southern Living, January 2005

24 comments:

  1. aww sweet. i also have fond memories of my mom's stainless steel mixing bowls. perhaps it's time to get a set of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg you're making me so hungry :)

    xo Jackie
    http://livingaftermidnite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of cream cheese in a banana bread but it sounds wonderful! Someone also recently told me to put cream cheese on pieces of nut bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great!!! I love banana bread, but with cream cheese? Even better! You rock.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cream cheese? I already have a feeling I will love this.
    Thanks Sherri!
    Hope you had a great weekend!
    <3
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just reminded me on how every fall I swear my MIL sends us like twenty loaves of banana bread! We never even eat a whole loave by ourselves..LOL I never tried one with the cream cheese though sounds like it would make it nice & moist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts always make my mouth water - this looks amazing! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarking this for sure :)

    xo, chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love banana bread. My mom used to make banana bread pretty often too, which is why I make it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, so I just happen to have like 20 over-ripe bananas in my freezer and I am reminded of them every time I open it and one falls out! haha thanks for posting the recipe, I know exactly what to do with them now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds SO delicious! i love banana bread and i agree that the smell of freshly baked bread definitely makes you feel at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum!!! if I weren't trying to lose five pounds, I'd make this immediately! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks super yummy! I think anything with cream cheese is wonderful! Thank you for my sweet comment and stopping by! Your blog always inspires me to cook from scratch! I made a sock-it-to-me cake this weekend and will definitely have to walk that off! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! Minus the nuts. I'm not a fan of nuts in bread...I usually pick them out of anything that has them in them. Sometimes, I can be a particular eater!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love banana bread too---so this sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my..cream cheese meets banana nut bread, what a terrific combo. Fall season really gets me in the mood to bake soemthing like this. Thanks so much for sharing, it looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear God. This has to be the best banana nut bread recipe ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds almost too good. I fear I might eat the whole loaf lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never thought of adding cream cheese to my banana bread. Definitely going to have to give this recipe a try.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. :'( I LOVE CREAM-CHEESE! anything with cream-cheese, i'm just a cheese lover!!!!!! you just reminded me of a recipe i created and i think i'm posting soon :D my first recipe post!!!

    xx
    Teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete