Wednesday, October 5, 2011

White Chicken Chili


Chilis and soups are genius really.  Dump a bunch of stuff in a pot or a crockpot and let it sit there all day, filling your home with the fragrant smells of a dinner that cooks on its own while you go to work. Then, you can put some of it in the freezer for a dinner a few weeks later that is just as easy as heating it up again.  Genius, I tell you.


White Chicken Chili
3-4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 (16 oz) cans Great Northern beans
1 (16 oz) block of Monterey Jack cheese
1 (16 oz) jar salsa, medium or hot
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken until tender and cooked through.  Drain broth, saving approximately 2 cups (or can use 2 cups chicken stock).  Once chicken breasts are cool, pull apart and shred with a fork.

Combine beans, salsa, broth, diced tomatoes, and shredded chicken in a large pot or crockpot.  Heat on low/medium heat for a minimum of 45 minutes, or all day in the crockpot - the longer the better!  Add salt and pepper to taste.  20 minutes before serving, cut cheese into chunks and stir into the chili.  Continue to cook until all of the cheese is melted.

source:  recipe from one of my college best friends

21 comments:

  1. I just made this last week!! I put carrots and celery in it too. It was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to make soup this weekend...I think I just found my recipe. Also, the Pumpkin Apple bread was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, lovely pictures! I've never made white chili. I am kind of stuck on an Indian Summer chili recipe from Racheal Ray but looks super yummy and perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm tempted to make this tonight seriously. The weather is brisk and I'm in the mood for something warm and yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you have? I need it! This recipe sounds so warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It IS genius and this looks amazing!!!!!! I'm all about chicken chili and I'm totally pinning this. You rock.

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so amazing for winter. my boyfriend, with his sparkling new crockpot, will definitely be making this during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to come to your house for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm, white chili is so good! great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love white chili and now I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this recipe looks so good! love chicken and chili! thanks for sharing Sherri Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to pin this stat to add to my list of recipe to make! Thanks for sharing and the sweet card! You're the best, Sherri ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is being added to my must make list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmm that looks so delicious!!! adding this to my recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect for a chilly fall evening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm lovin your recipes Sherri Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. perfect timing, friend! I'm making white chicken chili tonight ... it was already planned, but I've decided to switch to your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great. I've actually never had chicken chili but I'm sure it's nothing short of delicious. Perfect cold weather meal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO VERY TRUE. Chili & soups are genius!

    I actually just ordered a gallon of chilis from a famous LA chain called Tommy's for my hubby's bday. SO good.

    When we finish up the gallon, I'll try this chicken chili!

    ReplyDelete