Monday, September 12, 2011

Mediterranean Quinoa


Despite all of the baked goods that show up on this blog, we do like to eat healthy dinners around here.  I love quinoa because it's such a healthy grain, and it's packed with quality protein!  Caleb has been inhaling this quinoa - for lunch, dinner, and as a snack.  I'd say it's a winner!  Happy Monday!

Mediterranean Quinoa
1 3/4 cups quinoa
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cucumber, finely chopped
3 medium tomatoes, diced
oregano and parsley, to taste
freshly ground pepper
4 ounces crumbled Feta cheese

Add 4 cups water to large saucepan; bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the quinoa and stir.  Return to boiling, then reduce heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes over low heat.  It's cooked when it appears translucent, and the germ ring is visible along the outside edge of the grain.

In a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, garlic, cucumber, and tomatoes.  Add plenty of freshly ground pepper.  Add oregano and parsley to taste (I used plenty, making sure the vegetables were nicely seasoned).  Stir to coat the veggies in the lemon juice and seasonings.  

When the quinoa is cooked, remove it from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.  Toss with the vegetables in the mixing bowl.  Cover and place in the fridge.  When it is chilled, add the Feta cheese and toss before serving.  Serves 6-8.

source:  recipe adapted from 5 dollar dinners

19 comments:

  1. this is new for me!!! gonna ask my father to do it haha he's a chef wannabe @ my home and loves to try new things :)

    xx
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm trying to eat more quinoa and couscous - love easy recipes like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made quinoa or couscous but this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet, sweet comment on my blog today!

    And guess what? I actually made quinoa for my lunches this week (except I don't think mine is as tasty as this recipe). Unfortunately, I forgot my lunch today though, so disappointed. Hope you're settling in well in the new home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely need to try quinoa finally! I still didn't eat it. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEF my kind of dish! Love making this and your recipe sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I think I've only had quinoa once or twice in my life. I remember liking it so I'm not sure why I never make it! This looks super yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made it before, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to eat at your house.period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my fav ways to prepare it! Let me know if you want other recipes, I have an insane number of ways to prepare quinoa easily and deliciously!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been wanting to like quinoa, but i've yet to find a recipe i enjoy - i'll have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just another reason why i am dying to try Quinoa. I am nervous about cooking something I haven't before, but I need to start sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never cooked Quinoa. This looks easy to whip up! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Just wanted to pop by to say thanks for leaving me a comment on my guest post over at Natalie's. You have a nice blog over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like to put sundried tomatoes and pine nuts and my quinoa. Then I smear pesto in a pita and stuff it with the grains. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had quinoa before, but I really want to try it, as I've heard such great things about it, taste and health-wise.

    By the way, I think I have that same bowl!

    ReplyDelete