Thursday, September 1, 2011

Marinades for Grilling

I can't believe today is September 1st!  I'm excited for fall but I still want to hold onto the last little bit of summer.  Since Labor Day is this weekend, I thought I would share some of my favorite marinades if your plans include grilling out with friends or family.

A lot of times I will use marinades straight from the grocery shelf.  My favorites are Dale's Steak Seasoning, or just a bottle of Italian Dressing or Greek Dressing.  The dressings are my favorites if I'm making chicken for fajitas.  Below are some other marinades that I've really liked this summer. They're all easy but give the chicken so much flavor!

via

Favorite Grilled Chicken
(for 2 chicken breasts)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup oil
1 cup carbonated drink (I use Coke)

Mix soy sauce, oil, and Coke in bowl.  Add chicken breasts.  Cover and refrigerate 1-4 hours.  Grill on medium hot grill about 10 minutes per side.


Honey Mustard Chicken
(for 4 chicken breasts)
4 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper

In small bowl, stir together Dijon mustard and honey.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until browned and cooked through.  Brush with half the honey mustard and cook 1 minute longer.  Transfer chicken to cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.  Serve with remaining honey mustard.

source:  recipe from Everyday Food, September 2011


Orange Chicken
(for 3-4 chicken breasts)
2 oranges, juiced
zest from 1 orange
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade.  Whisk together until combined.  Reserve about 1/2 cup of marinade in small container.  Cover and set aside.  Place 3 or 4 chicken breasts in the remaining marinade.  Cover and refrigerate for an hour, turning chicken after 30 minutes.  Place chicken breasts on grill and cook, turning only once.  In the last 1-2 minutes, brush reserved marinade over the chicken breasts and allow to form a little glaze.  Serve immediately.

source:  recipe altered slightly from fitness food & faith


Honey-Lime Chicken
(for 8 chicken breast halves)
3/4 cup oil and vinegar salad dressing
1/2 cup honey
3 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a small bowl, combine all five marinade ingredients.  Pour 1 cup of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken.  Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours.  Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

Drain and discard the marinade from the bag.  Grill the chicken until cooked through, occasionally basting with the reserved marinade.

source:  recipe from Simple & Delicious, August/September 2011

26 comments:

  1. those first two sound delicious and easy. time to break out the old foreman grill in my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! This makes me want to grill! My husband and I's favorite steak marinade is McCormick's Grill Mates "Brown Sugar Bourbon"! It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a bbq weekend (i love them)!

    xx
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Honesy Mustard Chicken sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could have chicken for dinner every night! There are so many ways to prepare it! These marinades sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cool blog! you are a super cool mom! <3
    wanna follow each other?

    sweet and sugars,
    Dias

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marinades are my go to technique for chicken breast ... they really bring a dish to life!

    ♥ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound delicious! I actually have never tried the Greek Dressing (my love!). I will have to try that immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... I will be trying these out, soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The honey mustard and orange chicken ones sound like winners! :) Going to have to try them out...now if only my grill looked like the one in your pic...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Italian dressing is like to go-to marinade for EVERYTHING. I buy it in the truck loads at costco! haha But I have never heard of using coke, will definitely be trying that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For our honey mustard chicken, we use Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard with a little bit of rice vinegar. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely trying the honey orange chicken this weekend! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Those are some seriously awesome marinade ideas. I will definitely have to give these a try especially the honey mustard!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've never heard of coke in a marinade before!! that's awesome. and thanks for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may have just started to drool from this post...We're doing grilled chicken for a BBQ on Sunday, so I think we might have to try one of these marinades out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man! I will so remember this post. We just got a grill and my husband could definitely use some recipes to try out! I can't wait to try the honey lime....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Got to love a bbq! So insane that it's Sept! The air is already crisp and a bit chilly up here in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love Dales too! I need to try the honey lime marinade - it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh every time I read your blog I get oober hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know which sounds more yummy...the honey-lime or the honey-mustard....thank-you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a honey mustard girl all the way! At first I thought that was a picture of your deck/grill and was going to say I'm coming to your house for dinner! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is a pretty grill!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bookmarked! Done and Done!! I want to try the honey lime marinade..I also try to concoct something and it never turns out right.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The honey lime sounds amazing!! thank you once again

    ReplyDelete