Monday, August 8, 2011

Rainbow Cookies

In middle school I went through a phase where I refused to eat the brown M&Ms.  

I mean, they're just so ugly compared to all of the other M&Ms.  All of my reject brown M&Ms sat in a giant Ziploc bag on top of my dresser, ugly and uneaten.  

Then I decided to write M&Ms and ask them why they had to put such an ugly piece of candy in an otherwise colorful bag.  They responded and said that without the brown M&M, people might get confused and think they were Skittles.  

In these rainbow M&M cookies, I have included the brown M&Ms.  

Just so you don't mistake these for rainbow Skittle cookies.  

You know, with that whole taste the rainbow thing.


Giant Rainbow Cookies
2 cups + 2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup M&Ms

Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.  In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars together until they are combined.  Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed.  Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms.  Fold in the M&Ms.

Divide the dough depending on what size cookies you want:  1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 Tbsp portions for 36 smaller cookies.  Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball of dough apart into two equal pieces.  Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upward, and then squish both halves together.  Place the dough rough-side up on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (smaller cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown.  The centers should be soft and puffy.  Do not over bake.  Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on wire racks.

source:  recipe from how sweet it is

32 comments:

  1. hahahha I cant believe you actually wrote to M&M's company.

    Well these cookies look delicious! and I'll deff be trying them this week. THanks!!

    Lots of love
    simplycamylla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious that you wrote them a letter...and that they responded! :) I love some cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rainbow cookies! Yum! I can't believe they wrote you back! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I freaking love rainbow cookies! WOOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so funny you wrote them! and i love rainbow cookies, such a good memory from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahhahha I went through a similar phase with Skittles! Only ate the res and purple :) I always leave your blog feeling hungry lol! These look delicious! I am a total sucker for a fresh baked cookie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow cookies are still one of my very favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you actually wrote the M&M company and they responded! haha! Have you ever seen runaway bride? where the lady only eats the brown M&M's because they are the only ones with no artificial flavoring?

    Awesome recipe...I have to make cookies tomorrow for a church activity, I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha that's really funny about the brown m&ms! these cookies looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahha, what a funny story. you had me laughing over here.... these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! hat reminds me of The Wedding Planner movie:D
    These look like something me, my hubs, and my 2 year old will LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious!! I would eat these cookies up in a second - brown M&Ms and all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny! I love that you actually wrote them :) It's funny because I loved the brown ones because I knew that they were definitely chocolate! I'm not a huge fan of skittles...

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) I can't bake at all but I can sure eat them! they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love homemade cookie recipes! These look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmm I love rainbow m&ms so this recipe is a must :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha, love it! and YUM to the cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAHA, too funny! I love that you picked out all the brown ones! These cookies look great...maybe I'll actually bake this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh yum! i love rainbow cookies and what a way to take us back to our younger years thanks sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. these used to be amongst my fave cookies in the gluten days...and for the record i didn't eat the brown m&m's either. did any of us? why did they even make those ones??

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  21. i know, funny right? they all taste the same haha!! i was a brown MM hater too! now i love them all and this looks so delicious<3

    xx
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmmmmm...cookies!
    Those look delicious :)
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  23. oooo i loved these as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there, I am a new follower! Those cookies look amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! I love that they responded to your letter. I guess it does make perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
  26. you and your recipes are totally making me hungry :) Need to learn to make these for the kiddo {he's only 1 now but maybe in a few years!}

    xoxo, chrissy
    The Perfect Palette

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh what a good laugh! I love that you wrote them a letter. How kind that they responded and their reasoning made perfect sense! The cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't believe they wrote you back! How cool! Nowadays you'd get a form letter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha, Sherri I remember when you did this. I think years later when I went through my box of keepsakes from all the fun times we shared I found my little zip lock of them ! What a fun memory !

    ReplyDelete