Friday, August 19, 2011

Inside-Out Carrot Cake Cupcakes


Several things were going through my mind as I was making these cupcakes.

I hate grating carrots.  For all that work you get such tiny pieces.

What do I do with the little nubbin of carrot that is impossible to grate for fear of grating my knuckle?

Separating the foil cupcake liners from the paper liners that are in between them is really satisfying.

I like the idea of a surprise in the middle of these cupcakes.  Kind of like a king cake.  But cream cheese instead of the baby Jesus.

I hope these can be classified as muffins.  Because I want one for breakfast.


Inside-Out Carrot Cake Cupcakes
1 pound carrots, peeled and grated
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

For the filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar

To prepare the filling, combine cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in medium bowl until well blended and smooth.  Transfer the mixture to a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.  Smooth the plastic wrap tightly around the log and reinforce with a piece of foil. Place in the freezer and chill until at least slightly firm, about 2 hours.

Line standard muffin tins with paper muffin liners.

Whisk together carrots, coconut, eggs, buttermilk, sugar, oil, and vanilla.  In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir flour mixture into carrot mixture until well combined.

Fill each muffin well with a small amount of batter, just enough to cover the bottom of the liner (1-2 Tbsp).  Slice the log of cream cheese filling into 24 equal pieces.  Place a slice of the cream cheese mixture into each of the muffin wells.  Divide the remaining batter among the muffin cups, placing on top of the cream cheese to cover completely.

Bake at 325 degrees until a cake tester inserted in centers of cupcakes comes out clean, 23-28 minutes.  Transfer muffin tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.

source:  cupcake recipe altered from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, cream cheese filling from annie's eats

33 comments:

  1. Hahaha yes grating carrots kind of sucks. I would have to agree BUT these look awesome!! You amaze me with all of your yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love your thoughts. i always get afraid of grating my knuckle, too! p.s. the muffin that's sliced in half - is that plate from anthro? i loooooved those plates for so long, if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha. I love all your thoughts, that's why I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i now know what i'm making my sister for her birthday! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like perfection!!! I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. This is definitely going on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I am not the only one with "grating issues" ... not only it is a TON of effort but I am constantly afraid of grating my fingers! Enter the food processor ... it will change your life! :)

    ♥ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do know what my favorite cake is right? Yup! Carrot cake! Yup, I want to make these! Yup, I'm going to pin this! Yup, your comment made me so happy, I almost cried. Seriously, though. I think we need to come up with a universal blog friend appreciation day. Thoughts? Because I appreciate you, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. I would so eat these for breakfast too. Really pretty and yes, I hate the last little nub and I always grate my hand which hurts like the dickens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool are those! Carrots and cream cheese, total breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool recipe. I have all of the ingredients to try these this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Those looks so good, I love carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look super delicious! I'm so trying it :) Thanks for the recipe <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound amazing! I have a serious soft spot for carrot cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what omg these look so good! i love the surprise in the middle!
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You totally need to use a food processor for grating carrots, zucchini, etc. I grated my zucchini by hand last weekend and worried about my fingertips, but then I remembered I own both a mini and a full-sized processor. Used that for my carrots and was done in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! My brother in law's favorite is carrot cake so I am definitely forwarding your blog to his fiance! Hope you have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, these look like heaven!! YUMMMMM!! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am most definitely borrowing this recipe for my upcoming Champagne and Cupcakes party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are too funny! You gotta try throwing those puppies in the Cuisinart - it's the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha love your thought process ;) these look delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. these look so yummy! will definitely be trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ummmm, YES please! I LOVE carrot cake and I really really love anything sweet cream cheesy. I'm thinking these plus cream cheese frosting on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. seriously awesome idea! i will have to try these~ yummers! happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  24. definitely appropriate for breakfast!! love the little surprise in the middle - very creative :)


    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete
  25. one of my favorites!!! i'm a cream cheese addict! haha

    kisses,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun are those inside out cupcakes...I love carrot ones and bet some red velvet ones done this way would be delish too! Yum! Super fun blog!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love a good carrot cake.These look yummy!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  28. You know I have never had carrot cake before! This recipe looks way too good not to try out though!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea!! Yum! I do love carrot cake and a thick cream cheese frosting. It is another one of those things I have never made for some reason....??

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha your thoughts make me laugh :) But these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  31. MMMMM I think I saw this on Pinterest and it looks SOOO good! Good job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OH MY WORD, this looks insanely good!

    ReplyDelete