Monday, July 11, 2011

S'mores Cookie Bars

We are home!  We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to tell you about it!  This week I'll be posting about our trip and pictures of what we saw, but first I need to sort through all of our pictures, work on the laundry that is exploding out of our laundry room, and get some food back in our fridge.  So here is a recipe that I tried right before we left.  One of the things on my summer bucket list (which is still only on paper and not yet in blog form) is to make s'mores inspired desserts.  This was the first one that I've tried and because it was so good I can't wait to make more s'mores desserts!


S'mores Cookie Bars
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 king-sized Hershey's milk chocolate bars
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff

In large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.  Add to butter mixture and mix at low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half.  Press one half into the bottom of a greased 8x8 baking dish.  Place chocolate bars over dough.  Two king-sized Hershey bars should fit perfectly side by side.  Spread the marshmallow creme over the chocolate bars. Place remaining dough in a single layer over the marshmallow creme (I flattened the dough into small shingles and laid them next to each other until the marshmallow creme layer was covered).

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.  Makes 16 cookie bars.


source:  recipe from lovin' from the oven

26 comments:

  1. Oh me! Oh my! This looks absolutely delicious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes thank you for sharing this! i like to s'more brownies (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/smore-brownies-recipe/index.html), also delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish you lived closer...I would so have you make desserts for me all the time! That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sherri lynn i just started following you! these bars look delicious, making a trip to the store to pick up the ingredients today. thanks for the suggestion! meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait to see pics from your trip! :) Glad you guys ha d a fun time! I want one of these right now!! Maybe not such a good idea for breakfast...but who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this easy/delicious recipe<3 thanks for torturing me once again with you dessert ideas! hahaha

    love,
    http://www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are having smores for my brothers birthday and I can't WAIT! They are a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okayyyy I have to make these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious! I guess I should go eat some breakfast because this is making my stomach growl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was hoping for a post from your trip, but like this recipe, too! It looks like one I'll need to try! I continue to look forward to the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum, yum! Nothing beats a s'more! I'm working on my summer list too, haha, love the lists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't wait to hear more!! this dessert sounds heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feed me these! Totally going to pin those right now! Can't wait to hear about the trip! I made some popsicles last week, post coming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sherri Lynn! This recipe looks yummy. I have a HUGE weakness for sweets and this looks like the perfect treat for my cravings. Gonna have to try it next week when I get some free time :)
    -Linh

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I just had smores 2 nights ago in the hotel we were staying in Boston! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear you are killing me. These look amazing!
    xo
    Alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make the best looking desserts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm, 'smores! Few things could be more summery!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wowwww - these look like the kind of cookie I'd eat all of in one go!!! :) Looking forward to seeing pics of your trip! xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! How good does this look. I love anything smores so I am definitely going to make these up!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. ah, what's that term? oh yaaaa - YUMMO! yes and more yes to this tasty treat, d-vine for sure. happy to hear you had an amazing trip, that's great news! wishing you a swell rest of the week too. thanks again for visiting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, these are calling my name! Anything with the word "s'mores" and I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh baby! I love me some schmoorrres! :) I'll be trying these out...and I'm not sharing them with anyone!

    ReplyDelete