Friday, June 3, 2011

New Twist on a Classic


I've found that when it comes to cooking dinner, I usually cook one of two things:  a classic favorite recipe courtesy of my mom, or something totally new I've found on a blog or in a magazine.  I rarely mix up the old favorites, because they're already perfectly wonderful how they are.  So this meatloaf was my attempt to break out a little and shake it up.  I actually did really like this meatloaf, something I am super picky about.  What are some of your favorite meals from growing up?


Meatloaf
2 slices bread
1/4 cup milk
half an onion, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1.25 - 1.5 lbs ground beef (80-85% lean)
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Tear bread into little pieces and place in small bowl.  Pour milk over bread pieces and let sit for 10 minutes.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the onion, salt, pepper, garlic, egg, mustard, and beef (or you can use your hands).  Add the bread mixture and combine well.  Shape into a loaf and place in a baking dish lined with parchment paper.  In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.  Spread the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.  Bake at 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until meatloaf is cooked through.  Let sit for five minutes before cutting and serving.

source:  recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Living, February 2011

7 comments:

  1. actually, meatloaf was my LEAST favorite food growing up! i think it was because we always seemed to have it when i was in "trouble". LOL! so i called it punishment food!!!! my fav food was my mom's spaghetti! totally amazing and i could eat it everyday!!!!

    have a great weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this mixture of seasonings!! The Worcester sauce is a nice touch :)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid, I liked all the basics! Spaghetti, fried chicken, hamburgers, pot roast. Classics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom told me I grew up eating a lot of mashed potatoes!haha :)

    but that meatloaf's looking good!will try em out :) i'm your new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loooooove meatloaf. giada (food network) has a great version - pancetta wrapped turkey meatloaf, which you can serve with arugula mayo for dinner or make into sandwiches. look it up - so good and so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to try this...I actually have never made meatloaf. Shocking I know...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete