Thursday, May 26, 2011

Browned Butter Fresh Blueberry Muffins

I've realized my go-to activity is baking.  I bake when I'm bored.  I bake when I'm sad.  I bake to avoid doing laundry and cleaning the house.  I bake so I can watch Friends while I'm in the kitchen.  I bake when I want to feel productive.  All of this is good and well except for that it leads to my second go-to activity: eating. And this brings me to a new muffin recipe I'd like to share with you.



Browned Butter Fresh Blueberry Muffins
7 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries

For the topping:
3 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar

Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin pan with foil or paper liners.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Keep an eye on the butter.  Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan.  The crackling will subside and the butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that.  Keep a close eye on it.  Remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk milk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.  Add the brown butter and stir to combine.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add milk and butter mixture all at once and stir gently to combine.  Gently fold in the blueberries.

Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.

To make the topping, combine the flour and sugar in a small bowl.  Add the pieces of cold butter and cut in with a pastry blender until crumbly.  Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.

Bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees, or until golden and crisp and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes.  Then remove muffins from pan and continue cooling on rack.  Makes 12 muffins.

source:  recipe from joy the baker

I linked up at this chick cooks!

16 comments:

  1. these look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be all over that streusal topping like white on rice!

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT! Yummmmm!They look crumbly and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for watching friends!! My favorite show :)

    I've never done anything with browned butter, but I hear it's fabulous. These muffins look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also watch Friends while baking..hahah..Baking is so relaxing and fun. Your muffins look delicious:) Yum! Happy Thursday
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I clicked this post, I honestly think I could smell those muffins through the picture. De-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the crumbs. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I wish I was better at baking, but I'm not. I suck. But, I love looking at your pictures! Could you mail me one?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Those look delicious! I know where to come for some great recipes! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious -- and blueberry muffins are one of my favorites. I've yet to find the perfect recipe though so I'll have to make sure I try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish that I could reach in to the screen and pull out one of those muffins right now :) They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look insanely delicious! You might have convinced me to bake instead of sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so good!! My kids LOVE blueberry muffins and pretty much anything with a topping is ok in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah Peet GordonJune 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM

    These are delicious! Thank you posting all your recipes :) ~Sarah Peet Gordon~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, those look so good. That crumbly topping is just calling my name! Thanks for coming by to share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a great weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete